Gah! Potty training?!

I use a sticker sheet taped up behind the bathroom door. When she goes she gets to put a sticker on her sheet... I just use a colorful piece of construction paper and put her name in marker on top. In about a month it gets filled up and she gets to take that one down and put it in her room up on her tac board and she's quite proud of herself. She gets to come to the store with me and pick out stickers too.

I agree on letting them wear big kid undies or go bottomless (and yes, easier in the summer) for a bit so they do feel it coming and learn to hold it. And also the parent being a role model... my girls never let me use the bathroom by myself anyway. ha ha.

I've had many times where my 2 little girls have reverted and I assumed it was stress related due to their dad going away to the army and coming and going often--since it would follow one of his visits. And it's best to not let it get to you as they can read it if you are stressed. Accidents happen for what ever reason.

I am getting a little frustrated lately at my 3... almost 4 year old dd's sudden accidents of #2 when all it seems is she's too preoccupied to stop what she's doing to go. I'm kind of at a loss about that. Or she'll make half in her pants and half in the pot and then talk about it like she's such a good girl and made a poop in the potty... and then I realize, what's this? Why are your pants messy? And I remind her... when you feel like you have to go then you have to stop what you are doing and go... your toys can wait... ugh, I don't know.

But I do know I would not let the opinions of others get you down and let their comments roll off your back. You are doing just fine. A simple "We've been working on it. Thanks." is all that is needed.

hugs,
gretch

Maple, good luck with that one. When I was younger, I had the same issue. We grew up in the mountains, and I would often have accidents until I finally learned to drop drawers and go in the woods. I simply was too far away from the toilet to make it in time, lol. I used to get my butt "beat" for that one all of the time.
hmm.png

FWIW, a few years ago my mother told the tale of her very staid, formal grandmother who would spread her skirts and go wherever she might be outside. As I said, my VERY formal, very correct great-grandmother. My mother was a child at the time.

ha ha oh bettacreek... if you're out in the woods and far from the toiley than that's one thing... but if your in the living room squated down playing with farm animals.... well, that's probably part of the problem...she's squated down and it's pushing and helps it along...
lol.png

I can tell if I'm in the room if I hear a grunt or if all of a sudden she snaps her head up and looks at me and goes running to the bathroom.
tongue.png

Quote:
Laura Nathanson, MD, who wrote The Portable Pediatrician, had a great recommendation for situations like this. It works for kids still in diapers only because they're too "busy" to be bothered to stop their play and go to the bathroom, but it might work for your preschooler too.

She says to wait until the child is really engaged doing something really fun, something they really enjoy doing, and then abruptly interrupt them to check their diaper/make them go to the bathroom. "But I don't wanna! I don't have to go!" they may scream. But you calmly remind them that they keep making messes in their pants/diapers and you don't have any other time to check/change them. Insist they stop their fun play and go with you to the changing table/bathroom. Dr Nathanson says it won't be long afterwards that the child will be diligent to use the toilet when they need to instead of getting interrupted in their play.

Quote:
Don't do this as a punishment. I used to have my children help in cleaning themselves up after an accident. I also had them knock any BM back into the toilet. Something about helping to clean themselves up helps the child to remember to make it to the toilet in time. But please, remember, it isn't a punishment so much as helping them be responsible for their own selves.

My son who is just about 4 took for ever to stop peeing at night. I finally gave up on pull ups, diapers, padded underwear. I just let him pee his bed. Oh, don't worry...his bed has TWO water proof pads
smile.png
. It only took about a week with a few night accidents and now he's been staying dry!
celebrate.gif

My daughter who is nearing 2 hasn't shown ANY interest in sitting on the potty. But today I caught her dropping her pants outside trying to pee like her brother. She kept saying," pee, pee". Then," not working" while shaking her head. I about fell over laughing! I think she just realized she doesn't have the same parts as her brother!
lau.gif

No advice on this one. I just ignored the whole issue until both of mine were able to follow directions and manage easy clothes by themselves. Then I said, here's the pot, here's the paper, do your things when you are ready. Neither went to pre-school in diapers. My whole approach was hands-off. When they went, great. When the messed, O, well. If I minded changing diapers, I wouldn't have had them.

Every parent has to find what works for them and their children. Good luck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom