Gah! Potty training?!

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
My oldest son turned two in November. The "BIL" is almost done PTing his almost three year old son, and is pushing for PTing my son. The boyfriend is pushing the other way, saying that he's not ready. In the morning, I try to put him on the pot, but it doesn't go anywhere from there. I can sit in there forever, and he won't do anything. He'll sometimes push to try to poop, but ends up crying, as if it hurts. I bought Yogos, which are his favorite treat, and are ONLY given to him while he's on the pot. What am I doing wrong?

you are not doing anything wrong, your BF is right ds is not ready.

I did not potty train my ds until this summer he turned 4 in November. He was not ready before that. Boys cvan take longer and it is so much easier if you wait until they are ready rather than trying to force it early. Just remember no matter what they wont be going to college in diapers so no worries. I would leave the big boy underwear where he can see it and tell you when he would like to try wearing it. also keep his little potty in an easy place for him to make himself familiar with it unless you are using a regular potty with a seast in which case you cant really do that. Just mention wearing the big boy underwear every once and a while and i would go for trying to pee before pooping on the potty.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I waited until all my kids were two and a half to even start potty training them. I didn't get any trained until they were almost three. My youngest daughter wasn't trained until just past her third birthday.

None of them are wearing diapers now.
tongue.png

You have to be aware. PT is an area where parents become know it alls. If something works for their child, then they assume that every child has to be trained when and how theirs were. They also compete with and judge one another based on whose child was trained first. It is very silly.

When you do potty train your son, don't make him sit on the pot until he goes. Just sit him on the chair while you use the bathroom. Let him up when he wants up. So, he sit there for a second. That is an accomplishment.

I would wait until summer to potty train anyone. That way you can let your child run around without his diapers. It is very easy to tell when a boy needs to pee. So you can set him on the pot right away.

With my boys, I let them go into the bathroom with their dad. After he was done, he would tell the boys that they could copy what he just did. Our sons got so excited to stand at the big toilet(on a thick book) and try to copy their father's stance. It didn't matter if they actually peed, the ritual got them excited about being potty trained. It was also very cute.
tongue.png
I don't think that my sons ever peed in the potty chair. They went straight to using the big toilet.

Quote:
If you BIL's son is nearly three then why is he expecting the same maturity in a barely two year old?

yeah its true about the little toy potty my ds never actually used it but he did play with it and practiced on it sometimes lol

I forgot the other thing I would do was when I taught him to pee standing up I would put a piece of toilet paper in the bowl and tell him to sink the battleship
lol.png
I think it is instinctual for them to stand while doing it to as he picked that up really fast and clearly preferred it to sitting.

My 20 month old grandson is showing ready to train signs. First of all we eliminated the sippee cup altogether...openmouthed cups only. Everytime DH went potty he took him in there and showed him how poppa does it...He sure tried but no luck! Then I took him home with his potty chair and told DD he was trying!
thumbsup.gif
Every child is different but I think when they start telling you poopy and wet they are old enough to start trying! Dont pressure him...have you tried reading books with him while he sits?

This is just my opinion but I think 2 is too young. Mine were 3 and 3 1/2 when they were finally trained. It was very stress free letting them decide when. With very little "pushing" on my part. The best part of it was, I never had a poop accident and very few pee accidents once they were out of diapers.

Back
Top Bottom