Galvanized or plastic waterers

halo

Got The Blues
14 Years
Nov 22, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
My galvanized waterers are only lasting me about 6 months before they are starting to rust. Im looking for some plastic ones. I bought one plastic one at the local feed store, but its very cumbersome to carry and clean. What kinds do you guys like?

Last edited:
I buy mine from TSL. They are a real thick rubber. They never wear out. I bleach mine twice a month. I have had one for 17 years. Still in good shape. You can't tear them up. I hope this helps. DJ

There seems to be variation among brands (and 'model years' as it were) in how well plastic waterers hold up -- if you're interested in them, then you might consider changing the title of this thread to "need plastic waterer recommendations" or starting a new thread on that, to get the right people replying.

It is possible your galvanized waterers are just a cheap brand (which may not be easily under your control), but alternatively, can I ask what you are putting in them and what you're cleaning them with. Anything that scratches the galvanization (wire brush, steel wool, gravel, grit, getting bumped or dented, etc) or dissolves the galvanization (acids such as apple cider vinegar, copper sulfate, etc) will cause rapid rusting.

Good luck,

Pat, without extensive enough experience with different brands of plastic waterers to really comment very intelligently on that.

Pat, Im not using anything at all to clean them, other than a sponge. They are the LIttle Giant brand, which Im sure is a cheaper brand, for all I know they are made in China. Id like to find good quality galvanized waterers, since I think the quality ones last a good long time.

CCBB, which of the waters from TSC are you getting? Are they difficult to clean?

My latest Little Giant galvanized waterer rusted after only a few months as well. I am thinking they have changed their process or the quality of the material, because they used to last years.
I can only find LG brand around here.
I use the plastic ones in the summer, but switch to galvanised in the winter since I use a heater base.

The black rubber one at TSC looks like it is made from recycled tires, and they smell like tires to me. They are heavy duty and look like they would last a good long time. I looked at them, but didn't get one since the smell was strong. I was afraid of the rubber leaching something into the water that might not be good for the birds, or me and my family who eats those eggs
wink.png
That is pure speculation though, I have no idea if anything is or could be leached out. We keep organic though, so those kind of things worry me. If you are not afraid of breakage you could get some large glazed ceramic watering dishes, I think they would work with a heater as well. They are generally cheap and will last forever with the right care. You most likely will not find them at the feed store or TSC, but a quick google search will yield you tons of results. As for the longevity, here is an example. I ferment beer in an old glazed ceramic crock (about 10 gallons) that is from the 1800s. It has held up quite well over the last hundred plus years. My wife also uses her great grandmothers pickle crock as well. The glaze is still intact even after all those years filled with harsh acids. Anyway it is another material to consider, that will really outlast anything, as long as you don't drop it.

I, too, have a metal waterer and it rusted and I dont even use scrubber for that, just a paper towel. No bleach or vinegar was used except for Dove dish soap. Yep, made in China!

I used to have an old waterer and it never rusted like this one did.

Now where can we buy a new galvan. waterer that dont rust????????

Now that you mention it I actually do recall other people saying similar things about relatively newly purchased (= recently manufactured, these days) LG galvanized waterers.

Dunno what the solution is, other than to phone around and ask who DOESN'T carry LG
tongue.png

Good luck,

Pat

I really don't like Little Giant equipment - it's cheap and doesn't hold up.

I've said this before on another thread, but why oh why doesn't some company make a stainless steel waterer? It wouldn't rust, would hold up to ACV, last forever. Even if it cost 5x as much as other waterers it would be worth it, because you wouldn't have to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom