Galvenized water feeder suddenly starting to "look" like rusting - what is problem?

joyfulspirit

Songster
7 Years
Jul 13, 2015
Tomahawk, WI
I have a galvenized watering container for our birds, I do add OACV to it each time we refresh water. Is the vinegar interacting with the container and putting forth the Rust color? I have scrubbed it and the rust color comes right off but then comes back . . never did this when we first bought it 2 years ago. Thanks! for input

I have a galvenized watering container for our birds, I do add OACV to it each time we refresh water. Is the vinegar interacting with the container and putting forth the Rust color? I have scrubbed it and the rust color comes right off but then comes back . . never did this when we first bought it 2 years ago. Thanks! for input

I can and all the canning instructions seem to say not to use a metal container when using vinegar---other than SS. I never add it to my chicken water. Your container sounds like the galvanized part has gotten weak or cracked. Why not use plastic, sawed off 5 gal buckets, etc?

Metal water cans are only good for winter on a heated base otherwise they are a yearly waste of $. Every year I would have to buy a new metal can for my coops costing $30-$40 each. Due to it being poorly made in China, rust and consist "funk" growing and stinking up the inside. Besides Winter time use only good thing about a metal watering can is they make fun targets for a shotgun. If your can lasted 2 years and you did not have to scrub it clean every refill then you have been lucky. My most hated part of a coop.:mad:

24 years ago when I started with chickens, my galvanized water containers would last for several years. A few years ago I bought a Harris Farms one from TSC after using plastic on my heater for several years & it was gone in a year. Just last year I purchased one made by Miller Mfg. that is much better quality. It looks good so far after going through the winter. We will see how long it lasts.

Back
Top Bottom