Gambel life span?

Jannbo

Chirping
May 19, 2023
So I’ve found conflicting information. I’ve seen places say they live for about a year, and others saying they live a few years. A single year wouldn’t make much sense imo since they only breed during summer which means they’d basically be on death’s door by the time their first mating season came around and there’d be no chance they’d live long enough to raise the babies. Does anyone who has actually raised Gambels for a decent amount of time have a better idea of how long they typically live?

These birds do have the potential to live 5+ years, however it definitely depends on their environment and care they receive. Gambels are high strung birds and need to be kept aviary style with a micro environment that copies their wild ways....high ceilings and long runs for flight, brush piles for hiding and milling around under and litter such as grass hay for making nests. Kept in this fashion, healthy birds can live quite long lives if 5, 6 even 7 years.

These birds do have the potential to live 5+ years, however it definitely depends on their environment and care they receive. Gambels are high strung birds and need to be kept aviary style with a micro environment that copies their wild ways....high ceilings and long runs for flight, brush piles for hiding and milling around under and litter such as grass hay for making nests. Kept in this fashion, healthy birds can live quite long lives if 5, 6 even 7 years.
Thanks for the answer! Good thing I’m already designing an aviary for them then. They should be very happy when they get a bit older and are ready to move outside

Make a big brush pile, quail love to linger around underneath, makes them feel safe and happy! These are various branches and fake Christmas trees. :p
DSCN1649.JPG

Back
Top Bottom