Gamble Quails WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

They look good to me. I think you are over thinking all this. LOL You will do fine. Just adjust their housing a bit and all should be well. :)

Gambels quail live out here in our deserts as well. It regularly gets down to 20 degrees and below at night. So no heat is needed unless it turns brutal. Too much heat will weaken their immune systems. Just like as if you stayed inside in a house with the heat cranked up to 80 degrees all the time during the winter, and then you tried to go outside. It would be a shock to the system. Along with this 80 degrees, if you were stuffed in the house with a bunch of people, way too crowded in, somebody is going to get sick. No doubt cause everybody to get sick. I think this is what is going on with your birds.

So by dropping the heat situation, giving them more space, they will become more healthy birds.

Gambels are gorgeous breeds to keep. They can be a bit of a challenge however an do need extra attention than other breeds of quail. You will do fine. :)
OH Thank you..

These pictures I took last night. One week Later. OMG IT'S WEDNESDAY TODAY IS THE DAY THAT I USUALLY LOSE ONE. CROSSING FINGERS WILL MAKE IT..

Is black toe nails Normal???

OK I'm a head of myself just realized today is Tuesday, Can you tell I"m a bit nerves about losing them. Whew.

They look good to me. I think you are over thinking all this. LOL You will do fine. Just adjust their housing a bit and all should be well. :)
Should I stil put this in there water?

Durvet
00ae.png
Duramycin 10 Or should I try the Oxine???

Yes, as a precaution, I would go ahead and use the meds. Duravet is the same thing as Duramycin. Don't stop for 7 full days as you don't want any bacteria to become immune to the drug.

Keep us posted. :)

Here is the thing about Gambels quail and all the other New World quail. And this pertains to all the quail that are native to the US...the Gambels, California, BlueScale, all species of Bobwhites, and all the others...

Unlike the Coturnix quail that has been domesticated and kept in captivity for thousands of years, these new world quail have only recently come on board to being kept captive. Only over the past 25 years has it exploded with raising these birds in cages and pens.

And over the eons, birds like Coturnix have developed the ability to not only tolerate human interaction, but they have also developed great immunity to living in cramped quarters. Hence the "1 square foot min. rule". They have also let go of their wildness per say and are not internally stressed kept in pens and cages.

The new world species of quail however, has not yet adapted and retain nearly ALL of their wildness, spookiness around humans and have very little immunity to many diseases. While Cots are kept in colonies, many of these new world quail live their lives "paired off" on many many acres of land, rarely crossing the same path. So they are not used to living where they are pooping. Hence the get sick. Add with the stress of being so close to each other, not used to being caged, and still wild in nature, they are difficult to keep in captivity.

This is why I will discourage new quail keepers from these birds and start with Cots. It is very frustrating and sad to start a new quail adventure and have these birds die on you. It happens.

The books will tell you the recommended space for new world quail is 4 square feet per bird. I my book, that is still not enough. These birds are hyper, stress easily and really do not belong in pens or cages. Aviaries only where they can move and feel comfortable around humans. The most natural environment will keep them healthy not only physically but mentally. And a mentally ill bird is not going to perform well or live long.

So the moral of this story is...give them as much space as you can. Provide lots of brush piles, hidey places, grass hay for making nests and try to simulate their natural environment. Starting next spring, you will need to pair them off male to female for the breeding season. (during the off season, you can mix the entire group). Keep the pairs away from each other and give them as much privacy as you can.

Also, offer them up more than just gamebird food. (you mentioned earlier you did this and that is good. :) Greens, veggies, quartered fruit, meal worms, etc...these types of birds need a lot of variety to get what they would be getting from nature and don't do well on just gamebird food.

Good luck! You will do fine once you get them back on their feet. These are very gorgeous birds with splendid calls! Wait till you hear them calling....just lovely! Enjoy them. -)

Yes, as a precaution, I would go ahead and use the meds. Duravet is the same thing as Duramycin. Don't stop for 7 full days as you don't want any bacteria to become immune to the drug.

Keep us posted. :)
OH said they are not going to have wired flooring but plenty of branches and trees to climb in, Am I going to have another issue? Or do I need to find a way to make a wired flooring?

Here is the thing about Gambels quail and all the other New World quail. And this pertains to all the quail that are native to the US...the Gambels, California, BlueScale, all species of Bobwhites, and all the others...

Unlike the Coturnix quail that has been domesticated and kept in captivity for thousands of years, these new world quail have only recently come on board to being kept captive. Only over the past 25 years has it exploded with raising these birds in cages and pens.

And over the eons, birds like Coturnix have developed the ability to not only tolerate human interaction, but they have also developed great immunity to living in cramped quarters. Hence the "1 square foot min. rule". They have also let go of their wildness per say and are not internally stressed kept in pens and cages.

The new world species of quail however, has not yet adapted and retain nearly ALL of their wildness, spookiness around humans and have very little immunity to many diseases. While Cots are kept in colonies, many of these new world quail live their lives "paired off" on many many acres of land, rarely crossing the same path. So they are not used to living where they are pooping. Hence the get sick. Add with the stress of being so close to each other, not used to being caged, and still wild in nature, they are difficult to keep in captivity.

This is why I will discourage new quail keepers from these birds and start with Cots. It is very frustrating and sad to start a new quail adventure and have these birds die on you. It happens.

The books will tell you the recommended space for new world quail is 4 square feet per bird. I my book, that is still not enough. These birds are hyper, stress easily and really do not belong in pens or cages. Aviaries only where they can move and feel comfortable around humans. The most natural environment will keep them healthy not only physically but mentally. And a mentally ill bird is not going to perform well or live long.

So the moral of this story is...give them as much space as you can. Provide lots of brush piles, hidey places, grass hay for making nests and try to simulate their natural environment. Starting next spring, you will need to pair them off male to female for the breeding season. (during the off season, you can mix the entire group). Keep the pairs away from each other and give them as much privacy as you can.

Also, offer them up more than just gamebird food. (you mentioned earlier you did this and that is good. :) Greens, veggies, quartered fruit, meal worms, etc...these types of birds need a lot of variety to get what they would be getting from nature and don't do well on just gamebird food.

Good luck! You will do fine once you get them back on their feet. These are very gorgeous birds with splendid calls! Wait till you hear them calling....just lovely! Enjoy them. -)
WOW, great infor. THANK YOU SOO MUCH..

Back
Top Bottom