Gamble Quails WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

Wry neck or even Mareks disease is not all that common in gamebirds, but it does happen. Twisted necks can also be a sign of vitamin deficiency. Toxins can cause a twisted neck along with genetics. An injury can also cause this issue.

Treating wry neck takes a long time, but many times they do recover from it, no matter why it occurs. The bird will need vitamin B, Vitamin E and selenium.

1) a tiny crushed piece of human B vitamin,
2) about half of a 400 IUD vitamin E gel cap, and
3) mixed it with a couple drops of selenium to help the absorbtion of vitamin E

You can mix this all together in some hard boiled eggs. It surely won't hurt the others as well if they also eat this concoction but try to get him to eat most of it. Try this for a week or two and see if the neck improves at all.

Keep us posted. :)
I have already started the Vitamin E only I have been giving him a full one. So Will cut back on that, I'm leaning more to Wry Neck, He says on the bottom of the cage and I noticed the GIrls, will Step on his back, they go out of there way to step on this guys back. So I think I'm gonna have to pull him out of there and keep him separated until he recovers or perhaps keep him separated. Will he get lonely and die?

After 2 shots of the Vitamin E, he has improved, he went from twisting his head updside down to holding it to the side..

Good deal. Keep up with the Vit E for a while. E is good for the immune system and will only help him improve all over. The crooked neck is one symptom that you see. There could be other things going on in his body that you don't see. So the E will help all around. I am glad to hear he is already improving. :)

No, he won't die from being alone. If you can keep him near the others, it will be easier on him and the others when mixing time comes and he won't feel so lonely if he can at least see or hear the others. He will do fine. Don't put him back in with the other quail until he has all his wits and strength back.

Keep us posted. :)

OMG, I SCREWED UP. I cleaned out the Gambel cage, fresh water, fresh food etc but made ONE HORRIBLE mistake, didn't latch the cage. OMG, so the next day Friday, this all happened Thursday. I go to check on them, they are GONE EXCEPT ONE male. I have ONE MALE LEFT. I had a total of Five, my guess is they took off in pairs, I found One male dead in the yard my guess is my jack russel got him, tried to find JUST one female and had NO luck. OH saw the cats chasing one girl.

I'm scratched up from Head to toe going into 8 feet of weeds and prickers trying to find ONE GIRL. I am Covered with Poision Ivy in which I'm allergic too but didn't Care just wanted to Find ONE..

Last night the Second boy was walking around in the yard, tried to catch him, but he flew off in the trees somewhere so no luck there. OMG, what do I do now?

I can't find ANY Gambel Females in OHIO...

My One Boy has been calling and calling but NO luck, I'm thinking the girls are gone and the one boy will probably not be around soon. So I guess the question is do I give up on the Gambels? Do I let him free and call it a day or keep trying to find him a girl? I have search and search the Internet with NO luck. I'm willing to travel from one end of OHIO to the other end Just to go and get one but apparently NO one seems to have any Gamblels. Well except in TEXAS. OUCH...

ALL that time and work to keep what I have alive and NOW it's a horrible NIGHTMARE. I can't eat and sick to my stomach. How the HELL did I let this happen. IF you have the ANSWERS to my problem, TALK TO ME. because a bullet to my head sounds really good right about now. OMG, I just can't believe I made a STUPID COSTLY MISTAKE LIKE THIS....

I am so so so sorry. I can imagine how ill you must feel and how heavy your heart must feel. However beating yourself up over it will not do anybody any good. You kept these birds in a good way, and took great care of them. They were loved very much by you. Accidents happen. And it is not your fault. So don't be so hard on yourself ok?

Don't turn this male loose. That is a cruel way to die. He will get over it eventually. If you can not find another Gambel in Ohio, see if you can find a female Bobwhite, a California or even a female Coturnix. I never recommend mixing the different breeds of birds, however in this case, this male does need some company since he is not like a house pet that you could comfort him in his need. He will be freaking out for some time. And another female of another breed won't hurt anything in this situation. Never add a male in this situation, female only. I doubt he will hurt a female and eventually he will warm up to her and her to him. Worth a shot. Of course watch them closely for a week or two just in case, but I doubt he will do anything but welcome the company.

Again, I am very sorry this happened. Forgive yourself and let it go. Things happen and blaming yourself is not the way to go. I understand how terrible you feel and I hope you can get past this soon and heal.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
OK now to make the TORTURE WORST, I saw the male and female walking around in the yard today. Tried to catch them but no luck, instead THEY HOOKED UP WITH THE SECOND FEMALE. LOL.. OMG, they are alright but how do I catch them. I have NO clue where they sleep, I keep saying in my mind, JUST GIVE ME THAT ONE FEMALE!!! the other boy can have the second female..

I do have Coturnix, I will put a female in there with him, until I can find another female or Catch at least ONE of these guys. Any suggestions on how I can do that? Got to admit it was kind of cool seeing them walk around the yard minding there own business. I thought for SURE the cats got the girls, since they were chasing one of them on Saturday.. If I only knew where they were sleeping but the weeds are SOOO high OMG, I'm covered with poison IVY. From head to toe!!!

Are they in the Trees or do they stay low? When I tried to catch one today, the Boy FLEW into the trees and the girls GONE, have no clue where they went, it was like a magic trick they just VANISHED.. I know they don't fly great distance and I'm amazed that they are still around. But then I got to think, what if I catch the wrong girl. I mean I saw the boy hanging out with one girl and the other girl showed up later so that tells me he paired up with the one.. Do you think if I catch one which ever one it won't really matter at this point?

Big question is HOW THE HECK DO I CATCH ONE exspecially before the cats or my dog does?

When I lost some Bobs in the back woods, here is what I did. I put out a feeder and water to lure them in, knowing they would be getting hungry. I also had a extra large dog crate which I set up along a fence line in line with these feeders and water. I also put some feed and water inside the dog crate. Sure enough they came out of the woods to get some food and water along the fence line. I waited all day for them to do this. When they were along the fence line, I slowly but on their heals, not fast or close enough to make them fly, but enough to run them into this dog crate. It worked on two of them. They ran into the dog crate and I was able to get the door shut in time before they came back out. You can give this a try. Quail follow edges and unless scared up, they usually don't fly. However they are probably sleeping on the ground tonight.

Oh and make sure the opening to the cage is along the fence line so when they are running along they have no choice but to run inside the cage.

Last edited:
AND THEY WERE, they were walking around on the edge of the property, they only flew when I chased after them. I will try the Water and Feed TONIGHT, if they are on the ground, I'm going to go back in the woods, I've already have poision ivy all over so I guess it's not going to kill me to get more!!! LOL, I will walk in the weeds from where I last saw them all the way around my property, to where I think they could be...I wish they had glowing eyes so I can spot them easier. LOL

OH GOD, I hope I can find ONE GIRL TONIGHT. I will let you know the outcome..If this doesn't work, I will be putting the dog crate out for them, My dog crate is big and isn't closed in, is that what you used??

Mine are wire crates...for very large dogs. I use them for breeding pairs, hospital cages and caging annoying chickens. LOL

Oh and make sure the opening to the cage is along the fence line so when they are running along they have no choice but to run inside the cage.
Well I don't have a fence, it's all opened but when I saw them today they were doing just that walking on the edge of the property, out of the wooded area...

Back
Top Bottom