Gambling on Etsy

JudgeChunk

Chirping
Dec 27, 2020
Bought some serama eggs knowing full well that I may not have any hatch. Decided what the heck. My broody bantam would appreciate it.

However, what I did not expect is USPS literally chucking the damn box over the fence like he was shooting a 3 pointer.

All the eggs are intact and look great. Now I'm just playing the waiting game. It's my first time hatching eggs so wish me luck. Lol

Attachments

• 20210410_154411.jpg
    20210410_154411.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210410_155102.jpg
    20210410_155102.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 14
You saw this happen?! Most of the time, or at least from what I have seen, boxes contains hatching eggs have “fragile” stickers slapped all over them.

Sorry this happened, hopefully it didn’t hurt the eggs.
Yup. I was gardening so the guy didn't see me but he literally threw the box. There was a big ol sticker on the other side where is it supposed to face up and the label. He just ignored it.

Luckily the eggs were packaged so well none were damaged externally. As far as them developing. Well I have no idea.

Yup. I was gardening so the guy didn't see me but he literally threw the box. There was a big ol sticker on the other side where is it supposed to face up and the label. He just ignored it.

Luckily the eggs were packaged so well none were damaged externally. As far as them developing. Well I have no idea.
That makes me mad. I’m sorry.

I really hope they do well.

I would report this immediately. I would want him or USPS responsible for the costs if it does lead to the eggs not developing :// I'm sorry that happened

candle the eggs and see where the air cell is. It should stay in one place of the egg but if it moves about freely as you turn the egg then the postman did serious damage.
The last lot of eggs I candled them and could tell straight away 4 were not going to make it because of a dislodged aircell and none of them did.

I have found the smaller eggs to be more fragile than bigger eggs, it's a bigger risk getting them through the post intact as a result

IMO, the USPS carrier needs a different job. Yes, I know the role has unrealistic demands and the work culture is terrible, but he's not doing his job. 😡

A couple of years ago, I could get shipped eggs and have good hatch rates...the last 3 shipments of eggs over the past year resulted in exactly zero hatching. They tried to develop, but couldn't hatch. Air cells were terrible, and I spent a lot of time babying the eggs (upright, cutdown cartons, etc.) to no avail - the shipping destroyed them.

In short, a viable alternative to the pretty much completely dysfunctional USPS is needed. It's bad enough that "efficiencies" like automation mean that clearly-labeled boxes containing hatching eggs get tossed around by machines, but to have an employee behave like that...no.

Ok, off my soapbox now. 😉 I hope you'll be luckier than I've been and that despite USPS's best efforts to thwart you, you still have a good hatch!

You saw this happen?! Most of the time, or at least from what I have seen, boxes contains hatching eggs have “fragile” stickers slapped all over them.

Sorry this happened, hopefully it didn’t hurt the eggs.
I worked from home a couple years selling online. I can tell you at that time it was well known and also my experience that sticking a fragile sticker on a shipping box (regardless of carrier) invariably caused more damage to the shipment. Maybe it was a jinx, or they pull those to make an attempt to handle them differently and fail miserably, or they just flat out say "oh yeah? fragile? I'll show you what i think of your fragile shipment!". It got to a point that if it was fragile, I packaged it EXTREMELY well and bought plenty of insurance to cover the cost and left the fragile sticker off. Directional arrows are also almost a hopeless cause.

OP I really hope these eggs turn out to be okay 🤞

Back
Top Bottom