1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Game bird starter ( best/favorite brands)?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Angie Poo, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Angie Poo

Angie Poo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2013
    Parma, Idaho
    I'm getting coturnix quail for eggs and meat and have done lots of reading. Now I'm down to what brand of feed to get.

I have to order feed no matter what since my local feed store only carries nutrena game bird feed pellets (24% protein) and I don't want to deal with the pellets.

My local feed store carries 2 main brands purina and nutrena but can get many other brands.

What brand do you feed? What have you found works best? Good or bad about different brands? Just looking for input before I make a decision.

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    I prefer Purina. Are you looking for a protein substitute?

HS Pye

3. Angie Poo

Jul 27, 2013
    Parma, Idaho
    I'm lookin for a complete feed. I was leaning towards feeding purina gamebird startena (30% protein) then switching them to purina gamebird layena (20% protein).

I keep hearing that quail (no age specified need above 25% protein feed). I happened to find this chart and it states other wise. I'm getting really confused with the information I find always contradicting others.
    [​IMG]

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
  5. dougjefferson

dougjefferson Out Of The Brooder

Startena is what I used from start to finish.

6. Angie Poo

Jul 27, 2013
    Parma, Idaho

Thanks so much guys. That helped clear up some of the confusion.

I have decided that I will start them on purina startena and then switch my layers over to layena.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by