Game Hen defends her chicks

cgmccary

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 14, 2007
NE Alabama
I was in my coop cleaning cages. I heard a hen screech loudly in the pasture. I looked up and saw my game hen who has month old chicks meet a large Cooper's Hawk (an adult female) head on. I was sure it had a chick in its talons. She beat the hawk off and even flew up in the air after it when the hawk took off. I counted the chicks and all were there. The game hen is not that large-- the hawk looked larger. She is a Brown/ Red and is molting so even looks smaller than usual as she has no tail right now.

I would not known it happened had I not been outside at that moment. I have always said that my game hens never lose chicks and I let them free range. Some of this is luck I know but a lot of it is that game hens are aggressive mother hens.

Cool! I got several game hens and they are the most skittish, most chickenist birds I ever had...until they get broody, then they're the meanist, baddest, most evil little birds, attacking anything & everything that moves.

I was in my coop cleaning cages. I heard a hen screech loudly in the pasture. I looked up and saw my game hen who has month old chicks meet a large Cooper's Hawk (an adult female) head on. I was sure it had a chick in its talons. She beat the hawk off and even flew up in the air after it when the hawk took off. I counted the chicks and all were there. The game hen is not that large-- the hawk looked larger. She is a Brown/ Red and is molting so even looks smaller than usual as she has no tail right now.

I would not known it happened had I not been outside at that moment. I have always said that my game hens never lose chicks and I let them free range. Some of this is luck I know but a lot of it is that game hens are aggressive mother hens.

I'd like to have some of those! ...as long as they don't attack me. :)

Cool! I got several game hens and they are the most skittish, most chickenist birds I ever had...until they get broody, then they're the meanist, baddest, most evil little birds, attacking anything & everything that moves.

Seeing that we eat more chickens in a day than coopers hawks kill in a decade a broody game hen will treat you in the same manner if she sees you as a threat to her chicks, just like a rooster will flog you if he sees you as a threat to his hens.. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I'd like to have some of those! ...as long as they don't attack me.
smile.png
This behavior has been bred into game chickens for 1,000s and 1,000 of years. I have never heard of a 4 pound brown red game hen killing and disposing of her owners body. What are you frightened of?

I am constantly amazed that there are people posting here who are chicken of chickens.

This behavior has been bred into game chickens for 1,000s and 1,000 of years.  I have never heard of a 4 pound brown red game hen killing and disposing of her owners body.  What are you frightened of?

I am constantly amazed that there are people posting here who are chicken of chickens.

FYI, not frightened just prefer to keep my eyeballs - common sense. I won't keep any chicken that makes a habit of attacking me or anybody else - common sense.

The Constituation grants us the right to bear assualt chickens! I'll give up my chicken when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

LOL I wonder if anybody has ever been sued over their chicken attacking and hurting somebody. I'm sure it's possible these days!

Back
Top Bottom