Game hen wants to be a Mama

Maran Mama

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
Gilmer Texas
My Coop
My Coop
In May our game hen decided she wanted to be a Mama. So we put 12 eggs of the sort we wanted to have hatched. We put 6 Black Copper Maran eggs and 6 black star eggs. On June 21 we had babies. !0 out of 12 eggs hatched. I was so excited. Our roosters were Blue Cooper Maran and an Aracauna rooster. I thought the chicks would turn out to be mostly black and maybe we would get a rooster like our Maran. Well the Aracauna got around more than I thought. So the results were a little different than I expected. I did get some Black Cooper Maran hens. The rest were different.

These are the two roosters.

This is Mama. Mama with babies.

Unfortunately My beautiful Maran Rooster shattered his leg. We had to put him down.
These are two of Mama's babies we decided to replace him with. They look a lot different than him.

These are two of the hens that Mama hatched out. We also got some Black Stars and Maran hens from the mix.

Nice Flock.. Just curious.. How did the beautiful rooster break his leg???
hit.gif

WISHING YOU BEST.
thumbsup.gif

Nice Flock.. Just curious.. How did the beautiful rooster break his leg???
hit.gif

WISHING YOU BEST.
thumbsup.gif
I'm not really sure. I went out in the morning to let them out and he was hunched under the short gate we have at the door. My White rooster was pecking at him. When I opened the door he hobbled out and my other rooster was on him. I picked him up and isolated him. All I can figure is he jumped off the roost and landed wrong. He was the alpha which really messed up my hens egg production too. They seemed sad he was gone. He was a very pretty and gentle rooster. He never offered to flog or be aggressive. I hope his sons take after him.

Love their coloring! Its gorgeous!
love.gif
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you. It was funny how different they all turned out. The two roosters I kept looked almost identical, while the other roos were different. I got three hens with black bodies and white or cream colored heads. Then got some that look like Marans except with red on their bodies. I ended up with at least three Olive eggers and One blue egg layer so far.

Back
Top Bottom