Game rooster behavior and fighting

Pics
@Geena @shawluvsbirds
And there's the slippery slope. Who gets to make the decision of whether the dog itself or the owner are worthy? That kind of bureaucracy takes money and manpower, just easier to legislate them into being illegal to own.

The less careful we are with our words and actions, the more we invite oversight and for others' to turn our words into our own damning testimony. Pit bulls at least have other purposes and even animal advocate organizations stand against some of the dangerous dog laws. Less popular and less useful are guns, but even they have enough support that the government only wants to register every one and ban or cripple any access to the supplies to be able to use them. Gamefowl do not have that luxury. There will be no public outcry or powerful lobby to protect them. And if and when the case gets to the Supreme Court this year, and the court finds in favor of the law despite the economic impact of that decision, the Feds will realize that if one State could make it that far, others might follow, and the next farm bill will have a few lines thrown in banning the ownership of all gamefowl, no exceptions, and there's nothing anyone will be able to do about it when they send the euthanasia truck around to every game farm in the country.

I've worked for the government for twenty years, believe me, I'd be a lot happier if that were a conspiracy theory.

@Geena @shawluvsbirds
And there's the slippery slope. Who gets to make the decision of whether the dog itself or the owner are worthy? That kind of bureaucracy takes money and manpower, just easier to legislate them into being illegal to own.

The less careful we are with our words and actions, the more we invite oversight and for others' to turn our words into our own damning testimony. Pit bulls at least have other purposes and even animal advocate organizations stand against some of the dangerous dog laws. Less popular and less useful are guns, but even they have enough support that the government only wants to register every one and ban or cripple any access to the supplies to be able to use them. Gamefowl do not have that luxury. There will be no public outcry or powerful lobby to protect them. And if and when the case gets to the Supreme Court this year, and the court finds in favor of the law despite the economic impact of that decision, the Feds will realize that if one State could make it that far, others might follow, and the next farm bill will have a few lines thrown in banning the ownership of all gamefowl, no exceptions, and there's nothing anyone will be able to do about it when they send the euthanasia truck around to every game farm in the country.

I've worked for the government for twenty years, believe me, I'd be a lot happier if that were a conspiracy theory.
I never said I wanted ownership to be regulated or enforced by any government or entity.
It "should" be and I say "should" as in it is my opinion..
That if you are a breeder and distributing these breeds whether it be gamefowl, pitbull, or anything else with this particular stigma..
You should take a burden of responsibility on to yourself to help educate and screen the people you are putting these animals in the care of.
What should happen and what does happen are two very different things therefore
I can agree with you on being careful with our words here.

And that is exactly why some of us are trying to make the point for everyone reading here that when you stated it is not in their DNA it is trained... That makes the opposite impression to most people than the one you are now trying to express.
I am not a scientist and I understand that you are..
Maybe you need to dumb it down a bit for us non science brained types. 🤣
Just because there is no DNA marker for aggression does not mean it is not in their nature in general as a breed.
Most people who read that particular statement will take that statement as *gamefowl aren't agressive to other birds unless they are trained to be*
And I do not believe that to be accurate.

I'm not sure what dogs and chickens has to do with guns, you lost me there, but guns seem to be mighty popular and useful amongst the folks I know.

What case are you referring to that comes up before the Supreme Court this year?

Well Highlander just signed his death warrant. I let him out this afternoon to see what he'd do. He was good for a few minutes and he did have some instigators. The only one that amounted to a full on fight was his blue brother. Big roo kept looking at me like are you going to break that up? Big roo finally went over and actually tried to break them up, blue walked off so he immediately attacked big roo. When I broke them up and told them to go. Big roo walked off the direction I pointed. Highlander thought I wasn't watching and squatted to jump at me. I sailed his butt about 10ft across the yard before he even cought air. Dinner time! who's up for chicken?

Honestly I was more impressed with big roo than anything. I know he's the top guy in the flock but I've never seen him show leader duties outside of tidbitting. If only he didn't have leg issues and would protect some hens from other roosters rather than allowing a breeding free for all.

I'm definitely not in favor of any further regulations or banning of any dogs or chickens, and you're right it is a slippery slope.
But acting as if they are something different than what they are is not helpful. As Shawsy said, the key is in responsible ownership, which is why the gamefowl people here try to educate others on how to properly care for them. Best not to get in their way.

Well Highlander just signed his death warrant. I let him out this afternoon to see what he'd do. He was good for a few minutes and he did have some instigators. The only one that amounted to a full on fight was his blue brother. Big roo kept looking at me like are you going to break that up? Big roo finally went over and actually tried to break them up, blue walked off so he immediately attacked big roo. When I broke them up and told them to go. Big roo walked off the direction I pointed. Highlander thought I wasn't watching and squatted to jump at me. I sailed his butt about 10ft across the yard before he even cought air. Dinner time! who's up for chicken?

Honestly I was more impressed with big roo than anything. I know he's the top guy in the flock but I've never seen him show leader duties outside of tidbitting. If only he didn't have leg issues and would protect some hens from other roosters rather than allowing a breeding free for all.
I don't blame ya at all for not wanting to keep him if that's not what you signed up for and not what you want to breed more of going forward.
I have ducks not chickens...but the answer is usually the same in the end be it Drake or Rooster.
Pen it or put it in the Pot 🤷🏼‍♀️

I'm not sure what dogs and chickens has to do with guns, you lost me there, but guns seem to be mighty popular and useful amongst the folks I know.

What case are you referring to that comes up before the Supreme Court this year?
I suppose it's a "Ban all the dangerous things" type of mentality he is speaking of.
But he lost me completely at unpopular and less useful. 🤣

Since you are so pleased with the temperament of your big roo,
and since you are unsure whether his leg issues are genetic or caused by something about the eggs being shipped,
you might want to hatch some chicks from him and see whether they have leg issues.

If the chicks have problems, then of course you should butcher & eat them, and that's the end of that experiment. But if the chicks are fine, and if they have the temperament you want, then you might continue working with that line.

(In general, I am not in favor of breeding chickens who are known to have problems. But this looks like a case where it might be worth trying.)

Since you are so pleased with the temperament of your big roo,
and since you are unsure whether his leg issues are genetic or caused by something about the eggs being shipped,
you might want to hatch some chicks from him and see whether they have leg issues.

If the chicks have problems, then of course you should butcher & eat them, and that's the end of that experiment. But if the chicks are fine, and if they have the temperament you want, then you might continue working with that line.

(In general, I am not in favor of breeding chickens who are known to have problems. But this looks like a case where it might be worth trying.)
I have a couple of hens from them that just started laying and 3 cockerels. So far I haven't noticed those issues with them but they do have the flat back posture of the parents. I did have a liege phoenix cross that i kinda wish that I'd kept to see how he turned out but i tried for a month and a half to break him from sleeping and pooping on the back of my chair on the porch. Very very slow to mature mentally. His mother is my favorite and most friendly hen. She always brings her chicks to me. 1st pick was mom and him at about 3 weeks old. Thats also her with the chicks and him beside me. Last picture was at 4 months.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2022-01-11-20-26-17.png
    Screenshots_2022-01-11-20-26-17.png
    723 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshots_2022-01-11-19-56-16.png
    Screenshots_2022-01-11-19-56-16.png
    742.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshots_2022-01-11-19-59-43.png
    Screenshots_2022-01-11-19-59-43.png
    762.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshots_2022-01-11-20-00-45.png
    Screenshots_2022-01-11-20-00-45.png
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 2
Less popular and less useful are guns,
Um, i don't believe you 🤣🤣🤣
If anything it's going the opposite direction. The fact that nearly half of the state's have gone constitutional carry in recent years and last year had the highest gun sales ever recorded. Government not doing it's job, then overstepping it's boundaries with its stupid mandates woke a lot of people up to why the 2nd is there in the 1st place. Throw in a little "diseased anti-vaxxers" are the cause to realy get that 1930's vibe going for 2022. Yahtzee!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom