Games to play with a chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenz500

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 30, 2014
Hey, I have been looking for something fun to do with my chickens, like a game. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. But the only "games" chickens want to play involves treats = rewards. Doubt they really care if human is part of the action except as the supplier of the treat and audiences the action.

Although they are quite intelligent, they don't have a sense of humor. But provide hours of entertainment in watching what they do.

If you mean, what can you do that makes you laugh, initiating a food run is hilarious.

Eh,no games really exist,but running your hens around to place by place then give them a treat is all I can think of.
If you want your hens to just "Have"fun i'd put roost ,any perch swinging thing,possibly a hanging bird treat,but other that I am clueless.

Eh,no games really exist,but running your hens around to place by place then give them a treat is all I can think of.
If you want your hens to just "Have"fun i'd put roost ,any perch swinging thing,possibly a hanging bird treat,but other that I am clueless.

I thought the chicken swing would be fun, but if you select it be careful on how it is hung. The commercially available one shows they added a safety feature to prevent chickens from getting caught in the ropes/chains and hanging their selves. But I am a worrier.

I thought the chicken swing would be fun, but if you select it be careful on how it is hung. The commercially available one shows they added a safety feature to prevent chickens from getting caught in the ropes/chains and hanging their selves. But I am a worrier.
Thanks!Cause as soon as I could i'd try getting 1.I'll stick to my plan wooden roost.But I was looking for more
etertainment for them,but then again Free ranging and a wooden roost is enough,I guess.

Thanks!Cause as soon as I could i'd try getting 1.I'll stick to my plan wooden roost.But I was looking for more
etertainment for them,but then again Free ranging and a wooden roost is enough,I guess.
There are past threads on how to entertain your chickens and at least one successful chicken swing. Check out youtube, I'm sure I saw one there.

Mine love outdoor roosts.

We have a human baby tub filled with sand in my run and some love it - they bathe, stand and explore it for treats frequently.

I also hang one of those round treat cage balls on a wire wall, fill it with greens, they love it. They ring the bell when I walk in the yard to announce the want it filled.!

That's cute. I will try the swing. I will also try searching the internet for anymore ideas too.

Maybe this isn't what you had in mind, but, yes... I actually do have a small, interactive game I play with many of our hens and a few of the roosters...

As you probably know, chickens notice everything on you...speck on shirt, hair out of place, wearing something they aren't used to, etc. However, they have short attention spans (but long memories) so most games are out.

I have a soft, lightweight fleece jacket that I wear around them in fall, and it has a clear, soft, rubbery pull tab that can't be torn apart, but is tidbit sized. They all have always fixiated on the tab, so one day I decided to show them how to pull the tab zip up and down. They learn fast. They will pull the tab down or up, then I will, back and forth, and so on.

They LOVE this game, and always want to play if I'm wearing that jacket. How do I know they're playing? They watch intently when it's my turn, if I go too slow for them, they excitedly grab it from my hand and start zipping fast, so this interests them. Eventually, they tire of the game until the next time, but there is almost always someone else who was watching who wants to play.

Maybe this isn't what you had in mind, but, yes... I actually do have a small, interactive game I play with many of our hens and a few of the roosters...

As you probably know, chickens notice everything on you...speck on shirt, hair out of place, wearing something they aren't used to, etc. However, they have short attention spans (but long memories) so most games are out.

I have a soft, lightweight fleece jacket that I wear around them in fall, and it has a clear, soft, rubbery pull tab that can't be torn apart, but is tidbit sized. They all have always fixiated on the tab, so one day I decided to show them how to pull the tab zip up and down. They learn fast. They will pull the tab down or up, then I will, back and forth, and so on.

They LOVE this game, and always want to play if I'm wearing that jacket. How do I know they're playing? They watch intently when it's my turn, if I go too slow for them, they excitedly grab it from my hand and start zipping fast, so this interests them. Eventually, they tire of the game until the next time, but there is almost always someone else who was watching who wants to play.
thumbsup.gif
Guess I was wrong, they do have a sense of humor. Thanks for the great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom