Gander Behavior

3xhhheather

Crowing
May 8, 2020
Finger Lakes, NY/5B
Alrighty so after posting about Bug last time, it is totally confirmed that he is a gander. Happy to say that he has chilled out a bunch in regards to his aggression towards me. As a matter of fact, he tends to follow me around like a puppy now 🙃

I am curious about this new behavior and am wondering if it’s him still settling into being head boy. He has started this “chirping”, it’s piercing and does not stop unless I walk up to him. Nothing seems to cause it and my other birds pay him no mind. He’s doing it a lot, like a lot a lot. Just more gander antics?

Sounds like he's calling to somebody. Did any geese get separated or something?

Nope, his lady friend is only a few feet away ignoring him. The ducks were across the yard, but he does it regardless of where they are.
Hmm, whenever my gander did that was because he didn't see one of his ladies. Is there any nearby geese that he could be called to? My gander would call to the Canadian geese when they flew over. Is there a possibility that's what your gander is doing?

Hmm, whenever my gander did that was because he didn't see one of his ladies. Is there any nearby geese that he could be called to? My gander would call to the Canadian geese when they flew over. Is there a possibility that's what your gander is doing?
I wish it was that, but he just walks around the yard making those noises. Nothing in the sky or rustling in the woods that I can hear.

Alrighty so after posting about Bug last time, it is totally confirmed that he is a gander. Happy to say that he has chilled out a bunch in regards to his aggression towards me. As a matter of fact, he tends to follow me around like a puppy now 🙃

I am curious about this new behavior and am wondering if it’s him still settling into being head boy. He has started this “chirping”, it’s piercing and does not stop unless I walk up to him. Nothing seems to cause it and my other birds pay him no mind. He’s doing it a lot, like a lot a lot. Just more gander antics?

This is definitely normal. My gander would do this every so often as well. And he had his mate right beside him, maybe it’s just a dominance call, I’m not sure. But my gander did this lots.

He’s being friendlier to you so it’s probaby you he’s calling to, your now part of his flock so he’s calling out Tom make sure you’re okay.

After watching him a bit more closely and paying attention to what I'm doing when he starts calling out I decided that this is definitely it! He's quiet if I'm sitting down and he's right next to me or if we walk around the yard together. Big triggers for his calling out are if I have to run into the house for a second to grab something or if I'm checking for eggs & close the coop door behind me. So now in the mornings, we check for eggs together🧡

After watching him a bit more closely and paying attention to what I'm doing when he starts calling out I decided that this is definitely it! He's quiet if I'm sitting down and he's right next to me or if we walk around the yard together. Big triggers for his calling out are if I have to run into the house for a second to grab something or if I'm checking for eggs & close the coop door behind me. So now in the mornings, we check for eggs together🧡
He sounds like such a sweetie❤️

Back
Top Bottom