Gape worm, do chickens normally survive

Welcome to BYC. The only one I have treated did survive. Treatment was Safeguard for goats orally for five consecutive days. The dose I used was 0.14 ml per pound of body weight (~0.7 ml for a five-pound hen). This must be given five days in a row.

Welcome to BYC. The only one I have treated did survive. Treatment was Safeguard for goats orally for five consecutive days. The dose I used was 0.14 ml per pound of body weight (~0.7 ml for a five-pound hen). This must be given five days in a row.
I was given Fenbendazole capsules was told to give one now and repeat in 10 days, bottle said can be given 3 days in a row for severe case, not sure what a severe case is!!!! I just hope she survives

Sorry for your loss. Did you get the gapeworm confirmed with a fecal float? If not, I would keep the body cold on ice in a cooler, and ship or take it to your state poultry vet tomorrow morning. Where are you located?

Last edited:
If in fact was gapeworm, perform a necropsy yourself. The gapeworms will be lodged in the trachea lining. Slice the trachea vertically in half and you should easily see them.they are red in color and "Y" shaped.
gapeworms-in-windpipe.jpg untitledgape.png

Unfortunately my lady didn't survive. I found her this afternoon :(
Just saw your post, unfortunately I didn't even think about that and we buried her yesterday evening. I have wormed the remaining 4 and as of this morning they were all looking good. I will watch them very closely

Back
Top Bottom