Equine paste dewormer for chikens?

Ting ting

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2023
I gave my flock a pea size amount of equine dewormer, a pea size amount.
I read somewhere that you redose after 10 days. One of my chickens has gape worm although she seems to be somewhat better she seems to be still struggling at night. Should I really wait 10 days to redose? I'm getting so much mixed information

I read somewhere that you redose after 10 days. One of my chickens has gape worm although she seems to be somewhat better she seems to be still struggling at night. Should I really wait 10 days to redose? I'm getting so much mixed information
Pea size is not good enough.
Read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/17748655

and this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/worming-chickens—medicines-and-dosing-information.73369/

Are you sure it's gapeworm and not a respiratory diesease?
Can you take a video of how the bird is acting and upload it to Youtube?
Most people think they are dealing with gapeworm but what they are really seeing is the bird having a hard time breathing because they have a respiratory disease.

How is the ventilation in your coop at night? Is it dusty or is there any mold? Chicken dander and dust from pine shavings can build up over time. Does she have any nasal drainage, eye drainage or bubbles visible in either eye? Does she sneeze? How does her crop feel? Sometimes a crop that is not emptying overnight can make them gape, or she may be adjusting her crop.

How is the ventilation in your coop at night? Is it dusty or is there any mold? Chicken dander and dust from pine shavings can build up over time. Does she have any nasal drainage, eye drainage or bubbles visible in either eye? Does she sneeze? How does her crop feel? Sometimes a crop that is not emptying overnight can make them gape, or she may be adjusting her has

How is the ventilation in your coop at night? Is it dusty or is there any mold? Chicken dander and dust from pine shavings can build up over time. Does she have any nasal drainage, eye drainage or bubbles visible in either eye? Does she sneeze? How does her crop feel? Sometimes a crop that is not emptying overnight can make them gape, or she may be adjusting her crop.
Coop is well ventilated, with a sand floor, that I clean every morning. Her eyes look good,she has been sneezing, shaking her head and stretched out neck, with her mouth gaped open. I researched thinking she had a cold and found that gape worm seemed to be the culprit. The girls have been staying away from with the exception of one. After I treated her with the dewormer her symptoms did subside and noticed she was with the other flock members again. I just went to go pick her up to listen to her breathing and she's better but you can still hear the congested sound, just not nearly as bad. My silky Roo just attacked me for the 1st time when I picked her up. I'm getting such mixed info I was told to wait 10 days to dose again. I do not want to overdose or underdose. I used safeguard fenbendazole.

Coop is well ventilated, with a sand floor, that I clean every morning. Her eyes look good,she has been sneezing, shaking her head and stretched out neck, with her mouth gaped open. I researched thinking she had a cold and found that gape worm seemed to be the culprit. The girls have been staying away from with the exception of one. After I treated her with the dewormer her symptoms did subside and noticed she was with the other flock members again. I just went to go pick her up to listen to her breathing and she's better but you can still hear the congested sound, just not nearly as bad. My silky Roo just attacked me for the 1st time when I picked her up. I'm getting such mixed info I was told to wait 10 days to dose again. I do not want to overdose or underdose. I used safeguard fenbendazole.
Yes you do need to dose her again in 10 days for the dewormer to work for worms but it sounds like you are dealing with a respiratory illness. Chickens don't get colds. The respiratory diseases make it hard for them to breathe which is what you are seeing...much more likely than the extremely rare gapeworms.

Yes you do need to dose her again in 10 days for the dewormer to work for worms but it sounds like you are dealing with a respiratory illness. Chickens don't get colds. The respiratory diseases make it hard for them to breathe which is what you are seeing...much more likely than the extremely rare K

Her eyes look good,she has been sneezing, shaking her head and stretched out neck, with her mouth gaped open. I researched thinking she had a cold and found that gape worm seemed to be the culprit.

After I treated her with the dewormer her symptoms did subside and noticed she was with the other flock members again. I just went to go pick her up to listen to her breathing and she's better but you can still hear the congested sound, just not nearly as bad.
Can you get a video of her? Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Is her crop emptying overnight?
Photos of her poop?

She improved when you gave her the dewormer, but was there any other factor like you separating her with her own food/water, etc.?

You mention she sounds congested. She may need treatment for respiratory symptoms. Tylan/Tylosin would be a good choice.

Fenbendazole (Safeguard) is dosed by weight. Unfortunately the "pea size" information is quite old.
I suggest that you weigh her and give her the correct amount of Safeguard -- dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row to treat Gapeworms.

Photos of her poop?

She improved when you gave her the dewormer, but was there any other factor like you separating her with her own food/water, etc.?

You mention she sounds congested. She may need treatment for respiratory symptoms. Tylan/Tylosin would be a good choice.

Fenbendazole (Safeguard) is dosed by weight. Unfortunately the "pea size" information is quite old.
I suggest that you weigh her and give her the correct amount of Safeguard -- dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row to treat Gapeworms.

Photos of her poop?

I did separate her and keep her in the house for a day when I gave her the dose of dewormer. She ate and drank but sounded horrible, I kept her in a guest room with a bathroom. I have tile floors so decided to stay in the room with her to observe her honestly I didn't know if she was to make it. But she did come out of the bathroom to check things out and hang out. So I decided to put her with her flock and dose them all. I was really worried so went to check on her later that night. To me she was roosting weird so I put her back in the house and outside again in the morning. she has improved, She doesn't sound so gurggly and wheezing sounding. But she is still not fully herself I did hear some congestion,but had to pick her up and really listen to hear it,also her comb is still pale.So I'm trying to reach out find the correct dosing if it is gapeworms. and if it is respiratory I definitely need to address that. As far as her poop some was solid with white and greenish brown mixed with water? Went out to get a video and she's back to not doing well. Ugh

I did separate her and keep her in the house for a day when I gave her the dose of dewormer. She ate and drank but sounded horrible, I kept her in a guest room with a bathroom. I have tile floors so decided to stay in the room with her to observe her honestly I didn't know if she was to make it. But she did come out of the bathroom to check things out and hang out. So I decided to put her with her flock and dose them all. I was really worried so went to check on her later that night. To me she was roosting weird so I put her back in the house and outside again in the morning. she has improved, She doesn't sound so gurggly and wheezing sounding. But she is still not fully herself I did hear some congestion,but had to pick her up and really listen to hear it,also her comb is still pale.So I'm trying to reach out find the correct dosing if it is gapeworms. and if it is respiratory I definitely need to address that. As far as her poop some was solid with white and greenish brown mixed with water? Went out to get a video and she's back to not doing well. Ugh
Correct dosing for Gapeworm is in Post#7 and reposted below for your convenience.

Can you check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight? Sometimes when the crop is not emptying, a hen will make a gurgling sound. Rule out a crop problem.

Do another check up on her, look inside the beak for any lesions or canker, look inside her ears for any infection.

Back
Top Bottom