Gape Worms

Amber3

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2022
I have a 17 week old Rhode Island Red. She is lethargic, nit able to stand, drinking some but not eating. She is shaking her head some and appears to have something in her throat. I assume gape worms. We de-wormed the flock last night and she's worse today. Is there anything I can do to save her?

I have a 17 week old Rhode Island Red. She is lethargic, nit able to stand, drinking some but not eating. She is shaking her head some and appears to have something in her throat. I assume gape worms. We de-wormed the flock last night and she's worse today. Is there anything I can do to save her?
Gape is not common.. Check for a crop function issue.. Is it squishy, full, hard, soft, flat?? Here's an article that might be helpful..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

:fl

I have a 17 week old Rhode Island Red. She is lethargic, nit able to stand, drinking some but not eating
Has she started laying eggs yet? Have you checked for egg bound?

Was she vaccinated against Marek's?

If the crop is flat.. I'd definitely be concerned about something in or blocking the throat.. a fox tail etc.

If she passes and you really want to know what happened, then refrigerate her body and send in for necropsy done by the state poultry vet. I can provide links for contact if needed.

Has she started laying eggs yet? Have you checked for egg bound?

Was she vaccinated against Marek's?

If the crop is flat.. I'd definitely be concerned about something in or blocking the throat.. a fox tail etc.

If she passes and you really want to know what happened, then refrigerate her body and send in for necropsy done by the state poultry vet. I can provide links for contact if needed.
She has not started laying and is not vaccinated.
I would like the link. Thank you.

She has not started laying and is not vaccinated.
I would like the link. Thank you.
Sorry you (and her) are facing this. :(

How long has she been "off"? Is she pooping? Not common in first time layers but are you able to check for egg binding?

Here is a link with all the state poultry labs contact info listed for quick reference but doesn't include most website links..

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I could provide more direct information links if you wish , but need to know which state you're in. Adding you general location to your profile can help folks make their best suggestion possible at a glance... re weather and disease outbreak type information and also sometimes knowing what resources are available since many on here are in other countries.

Is veterinary care an option, to help see if there is a foreign object and maybe verify or rule out any possibility of gape, coccidiosis, etc?

I wonder if @Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock, @azygous, @casportpony have other clues or considerations I haven't mentioned. TIA for looking and also sharing if so!

Sorry you (and her) are facing this. :(

How long has she been "off"? Is she pooping? Not common in first time layers but are you able to check for egg binding?

Here is a link with all the state poultry labs contact info listed for quick reference but doesn't include most website links..

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I could provide more direct information links if you wish , but need to know which state you're in. Adding you general location to your profile can help folks make their best suggestion possible at a glance... re weather and disease outbreak type information and also sometimes knowing what resources are available since many on here are in other countries.

Is veterinary care an option, to help see if there is a foreign object and maybe verify or rule out any possibility of gape, coccidiosis, etc?

I wonder if @Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock, @azygous, @casportpony have other clues or considerations I haven't mentioned. TIA for looking and also sharing if so!

She's gone. 😭💔
Thanks for all your advice.

Back
Top Bottom