Gapeworm, cocci, something else??

kurby22

Crossing the Road
Apr 12, 2021
Sacramento Area, California
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

I have 4 5 week old chicks—two BLRWs, two lavender Orps, and two 7 week old silkies

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Honestly they seem mostly fine. I haven’t noticed any lethargy, no runny noses, no eye gunk...but they are occasionally sneezing and I think I saw my first poop that looked stringy and bloody. They also occasionally seems to keep their beaks open slightly to breathe...

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I started noticing the sneezing after I brought home the two silkies I bought from a lady in town. They were quarantined in a entirely different area of the house in their own brooder...and I noticed the silkies sneezing some that first day. I was obviously not able to totally keep them quarantined, as I started noting the sneezing by one of the Orps about two days after the silkies came home. The silkies also shake their heads a fair amount more than seems normal.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

Yes, they all seem to have some symptom that I occasionally notice.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

I think there was some blood in a poop tonight, it got smeared before I could look closely.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Brought chickens from new location home to other 4 chicks :-(

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

All of them eat great and I have observed them eating and drinking normal

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

As mentioned, most poops seem normal, but this one tonight was sort of runny and seemed bloody

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Electrolytes in their water, might add probiotics tonight

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I am open to vet, but hoping to try home meds first...what’s best for worms?

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use

They’re in a 2x2x4 stock tank with Ecoflake pine bedding. I’ve been cleaning out water daily, but it still gets crazy dirty anyway. They fling bedding and poop everywhere.

I attached a recent poo sample...is this normal? I’m so new and Google is all over the place :-/

Should I be worried?? Treat just in case? Should I do a deworming med and Corrid just in case it’s Cocci? Please help! Thank you!

Attachments

• 7682339A-E379-4178-84E4-7399715D8852.jpeg
    7682339A-E379-4178-84E4-7399715D8852.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Do you think that you can get a fecal test done by the vet to determine the exact problem?

Red stringy stuff in poop can also be intestinal lining that is being shed by the body. But we still want to err on the side of caution and confirm that there is nothing wrong, hence the poop test.

Once, your vet determines exactly what the issue is, you can then give medication or not accordingly.

Thank you for your extensive post! How is your flock today?
Thanks for asking! They seem about the same so far...I started them on Corid yesterday and got a natural dewormer for starts until I can determine the need for stronger meds. I also bought some Poultry Aid that I’m going to spray on all of them to see if it helps with the sneezing. The silkies shake their heads like they have a nervous twitch that gets worse when they’re held (stressed) but their poo seems normal and everyone has a good appetite, eats and runs around so maybe I’m overly concerned? Sighh chickens need to be easier! 😜

Back
Top Bottom