Gapeworm not responding to Safe-Guard in chicks

@Wyorp Rock Right now it looks completely normal. Yesterday it was full of mucus and bits of food stuck in there as well as some small particles of white debris under the tongue. Also a little foamy? Like bubbles in the mucus.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Okay when I checked under her tongue this morning there was nothing but now there is white gunk, more than before. Should I move forward with canker treatment? I'm worried about her being on multiple antibiotics at the same time since she's already on Tylan.

I am not an expert on canker or whatever, but can you tell us if her beak smells bad? She might have something else going on, such as candida or yeast infection, which is fungal. Yeast or fungal infections could follow antibiotic treatment. It may be more white than yellow. Canker apparently smells rotten, and can be yellowish. Cancer or a tumor can also sometimes be found in the beak, though it is more rare than canker. Pictures might be helpful.

That doesn't sound very good does it.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with all this and starting out with birds that likely will be carriers all their life and may even be weaker health wise long term too.

I don't know if I would treat for canker unless I was certain that's what it is.

I would separate that one with the beak issues as a precaution to lessen the spread.
White patches do sound more like thrush or yeast infection.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Okay here's the best picture I could get one-handed. Maybe when my partner is home tomorrow I can get a better one or maybe a video.

I also used a small piece of plastic to try to scrape of some of the whiteness. It was surprisingly difficult. The texture was harder than I was expecting, and it was very difficult to remove. Dinkle does not appear to have pain in this area. I know it looks like I'm choking her in the picture, but I'm just pushing up on the swollen part so she will lift up her tongue and it's easier to see the plaque or whatever the white stuff is. She was surprisingly compliant as I was scraping it off, so I don't think it's especially tender. I was able to remove about half of what you can see in the picture. The rest was too stuck on. It appears to only be on one side, but the swelling is fairly symmetrical.

I bought some Thyme extract as that's supposed to be an anti-fungal and also help with canker and put one drop under her tongue. Would love any further advice or thoughts on this. The vet I went to last-time has kind of been a jerk and didn't really listen to me when I called with follow-up questions, so I'm not sure it would be worth it to go back.

Her beak does not have any particular aroma. When I went back to check on her, there was the presence of viscous mucus or saliva and bubbles again. Maybe from messing with it?

IMG_4206.jpg

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Okay here's the best picture I could get one-handed. Maybe when my partner is home tomorrow I can get a better one or maybe a video.

I also used a small piece of plastic to try to scrape of some of the whiteness. It was surprisingly difficult. The texture was harder than I was expecting, and it was very difficult to remove. Dinkle does not appear to have pain in this area. I know it looks like I'm choking her in the picture, but I'm just pushing up on the swollen part so she will lift up her tongue and it's easier to see the plaque or whatever the white stuff is. She was surprisingly compliant as I was scraping it off, so I don't think it's especially tender. I was able to remove about half of what you can see in the picture. The rest was too stuck on. It appears to only be on one side, but the swelling is fairly symmetrical.

I bought some Thyme extract as that's supposed to be an anti-fungal and also help with canker and put one drop under her tongue. Would love any further advice or thoughts on this. The vet I went to last-time has kind of been a jerk and didn't really listen to me when I called with follow-up questions, so I'm not sure it would be worth it to go back.

View attachment 2394736
Is there a bad odor?
It may be thrush. Here's a little comparison chart that may be helpful. (link below)
Kim (@Eggcessive ) can tell more about contraindications, but Nystatin may work better.
I've never seen it OTC, but an oral thrush paint might be an idea too.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/canker

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Wow thank you guys so much. I've been reading up on fungal issues and I think y'all are spot on. It doesn't stink, and the texture is hard and crusty, not sticky like canker would be.

Also, fungal issues are more likely to come up when they are on antibiotics, which they are, so that checks out.

I also went down a rabbit hole talking about mycotoxins, which sounds like basically where the feed has fungus in it and causes fungal issues. The crappy breeder we bought the birds from had dozens and dozens of feed sacks stacked up in an outdoor barn and had been sitting there for god knows how long. What to you guys think? I'm going to replace the feed regardless and go ahead and order the anti-fungal from the link you sent. Thanks again so much for that.

I'm also curious if you guys know of anywhere I can order powdered Tylan online without having to get prescription? The vet office is charging me an arm and a leg for it.

Thank you guys again so much. I am starting to have hope. Dinkle looks under the weather again today, but like I said I'm about to head out to replace her feed and I'll order that anti-fungal today as well.

Thanks so much everyone 🙏
Bojangle and Dinkle and the rest of the flock say hi 🐤👋🐤

You can Tylan (tylosin) to put in the water here without a script. but it might take a few days, and the shipping might make it more than the vet:
https://foyspetsupplies.com/tylan-powder-100-gr/
I have ordered from Foys before and they are good to buy from. Chewys.com has the brand name for $54 and free shipping, but your vet has to give a prescription. That is not too much more than what it sold for in feed stores before they made it prescription only.

You can Tylan (tylosin) to put in the water here without a script. but it might take a few days, and the shipping might make it more than the vet:
https://foyspetsupplies.com/tylan-powder-100-gr/
I have ordered from Foys before and they are good to buy from. Chewys.com has the brand name for $54 and free shipping, but your vet has to give a prescription. That is not too much more than what it sold for in feed stores before they made it prescription only.

Would this have too much extra stuff in it? Their other Tylan products are not in stock.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylodox-100g-medpet/

Back
Top Bottom