Gapeworm or Heart Failure??

Well, we lost Phantom today. Over the past 3 or 4 days he has been getting weaker and weaker. I gave him nutridrench and some shredded chicken yesterday, he ate it, but didn't process anything over night (his crop was still full this morning).

After he passed, i did a quick necropsy and found he was filled with a yellowish oily liquid. he also had this weird clear "booger" sitting inside his body cavity. His guts were full of bloody looking poop (but the poop in his cage is still normal). And his gizzard was very soft and mushy. He had a few pieces of grit in there and a bunch of these tiny seed looking things. They were hard but smashed easily in my fingers. Its odd, because he hasn't had any food like this. His gizzard interior was also a bile green color, which again is odd because he hasn't eaten anything green in a while. His heart looked fairly normal, except it felt very mushy compared to others I've seen.

I can only think he had a myriad of health issues. Thankfully he stopped gasping in his final days and was well loved and cared for. RIP little Phantom <3

I'll post pics in Preview (they are graphic)

IMG_20220717_154948125_HDR.jpg

Yellow oily liquid

IMG_20220717_154951696_HDR.jpg

Odd "booger" floating inside body cavity

IMG_20220717_155606338_HDR.jpg

Weird "seeds" inside gizzard

Well, we lost Phantom today. Over the past 3 or 4 days he has been getting weaker and weaker. I gave him nutridrench and some shredded chicken yesterday, he ate it, but didn't process anything over night (his crop was still full this morning).

After he passed, i did a quick necropsy and found he was filled with a yellowish oily liquid. he also had this weird clear "booger" sitting inside his body cavity. His guts were full of bloody looking poop (but the poop in his cage is still normal). And his gizzard was very soft and mushy. He had a few pieces of grit in there and a bunch of these tiny seed looking things. They were hard but smashed easily in my fingers. Its odd, because he hasn't had any food like this. His gizzard interior was also a bile green color, which again is odd because he hasn't eaten anything green in a while. His heart looked fairly normal, except it felt very mushy compared to others I've seen.

I can only think he had a myriad of health issues. Thankfully he stopped gasping in his final days and was well loved and cared for. RIP little Phantom <3

I'll post pics in Preview (they are graphic)
I'm so very sorry to hear about Phantom:hugs
He sure did try didn't he? And oh my, you sure didn't give up either. My heart breaks for you.
I agree, he was very much loved and cared for.

Thank you for the photos and description. I'm left with questions, like I'm sure you are too. I don't know what the white material is that you found in the body cavity. The yellow fluid was I assume Ascites. What caused this symptom, maybe heart dysfunction(?) The contents of the gizzard are interesting along with your note that the gizzard was soft and mushy. I've never encountered that before. I don't know what would make organs be soft and mushy.
Perhaps @Eggcessive or @coach723 may recognize that characteristic more than I.

Sorry for your loss. I have never come across a soft mushy gizzard before while doing a necropsy. Did you take any pictures of the necropsy? Was the liver normally colored? This would have been an interesting necropsy to have your state vet do. If the body has been kept cold, not frozen, you could still get one on the organs.

Sorry for your loss. I have never come across a soft mushy gizzard before while doing a necropsy. Did you take any pictures of the necropsy? Was the liver normally colored? This would have been an interesting necropsy to have your state vet do. If the body has been kept cold, not frozen, you could still get one on the organs.
Unfortunately he is froze, awaiting burial. The liver was totally normal, great size and texture, no spots or discoloration.
I posted some pics above in the "spoiler"

Back
Top Bottom