Gapeworm or Heart Failure??

Thanks! I saw an article about a "heimlich" maneuver where you grab him by the legs and swing him downward between your legs. The force is supposed to help dislodge something that might be stuck in the trachea or esophagus.

I am tempted to try it, I just don't want to stress him or give him whiplash. 😂. If he keeps it up, I might give it a go and see if it helps. I'll have to wait for early morning so his crop isn't full and he "throws up" from the force
🤣 This just struck me funny.
Do you have a link to the article? I'd like to read it.

He may never let you near him again if you do that.

How is he doing?
He is actually not gasping as much, but is now starting to show more respiratory issues. He is wheezing when breathing and shaking his head quite a bit. He is also "sneezing" a little. Still nothing in his eyes or nose. Still eating and drinking and getting around pretty good. I've checked two stores near me if they have Tylan with no luck. I am still trying to get over to TSC at some point.

I am giving him ACV and a little oregano in his food, and some VetRX under his wings and chest in the meantime. He is still in good spirits. I am honestly surprised he is still alive

@Wyorp Rock I got the Tylan 50 today. What's the dosage? Is it .25mL per lb orally 4x a day? Also, he weights 8 ounces, do you think I should just give him the .25mL or do some math on it? Thanks!!
Normal dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight (27mg/kg) given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

If he weighs 8oz, that would be 0.12mg given 3times a day.

Today is day 3 of his Tylan treatment. No improvements. His gasping is very frequent in the morning, but subsides throughout the day and is almost none existent at night.

I noticed yesterday on his "walk" that when he has a pressure against his chest (like me carrying him in my hand) he doesn't gasp or breathe heavy, but the moment I put him down he goes into a gasping frenzy. I also notice his skin is translucent, I could actually see the blood pulsing through his veins and his chest filling with air (I'll try to get a video later... It's pretty wild)

He is still eating and drinking great, hasn't lost any weight, and gets around fine. He likes dust and sun bathing and roosts at night and throughout the day.

I am starting to think a birth defect or something else is causing this. He is not sickly at all except for the gasping. Safeguard didn't help and I am not sure the Tylan will do much. I'll continue through the 5 days tho!

Back
Top Bottom