Gapeworm or respiratory Illness?

For video, upload to youtube or similar platform, then provide a link.

If she's difficult to get the beak open, gently swaddle her in a towel so her wings are captured, then you'll have more control over her. Pull down on the wattles to get her to open the beak so you can get a look.
Here is the video of her breathing. She also stretches her neck often with her mouth open.
I hope this video works.

Is there any way you can see a vet? The rapid breathing and rales (crackles) sounds pretty serious. It could be mucus from congestion in her airways, or it might be crop contents coming back up into the throat. Is her crop emptying overnight? Does she sneeze often? Is she still getting Tylan or Tylosin generic at the right dosage? Be careful handling her so you don’t press on her crop if it is full. Give the medication slowly letting her swallow it gradually. Could something in the environment be irritating her airway or lungs? Sorry I don’t have more advice. We are not vets here, just chicken owners like yourself.

Is there any way you can see a vet? The rapid breathing and rales (crackles) sounds pretty serious. It could be mucus from congestion in her airways, or it might be crop contents coming back up into the throat. Is her crop emptying overnight? Does she sneeze often? Is she still getting Tylan or Tylosin generic at the right dosage? Be careful handling her so you don’t press on her crop if it is full. Give the medication slowly letting her swallow it gradually. Could something in the environment be irritating her airway or lungs? Sorry I don’t have more advice. We are not vets here, just chicken owners like yourself.
Sadly we have No avian vets up here!!! I have talked to our vet on the phone about my multiple issues. He had sold me some Lincomycin/Spectinomycin powder & they were all treated in the water. Cured my rooster that was sick & her coughing subsided but has recently returned. She is not really sneezing at all. I currently have had her in the house for the past 5 days & on 11/30 started giving her Tylan50 in a small amount of plain water she is drinking a lot so I am sure that she gets it. She sticks her beak all the way into the small bowl. Her crop is very watery, squishy & emptying rather quickly with the watery diarrhea (containing some green particles & sometimes the little bit of feed she eats & the egg wash I drop feed her). The flock free ranged up until winter arrived. This all started about 2 months ago. I had noticed that she started sounding like that after dust bathing in our yard made up of very fine dusty sand (they all did that & I was unable to prevent it unless I kept them locked up). I shop AVC’s cleaned & disinfected the coop with Synergize cool 1.5 week ago & put in all new bedding. This time I got the larger pine shavings instead of mixing a bag of fine & large. We have a pretty large coop with a poop shelf that I use sweet PDZ on. The shelf keeps almost all of the poop out of the bedding & I scoop the shelf & what I find on the floor every day. The run is a sandy/dirt floor. I wasn’t sure how to disinfect that so I just raked & scooped out the top layer & put down minimal pine pellets to soak up any moisture.

on 11/30 started giving her Tylan50 in a small amount of plain water she is drinking a lot so I am sure that she gets it.
Are you not able to give the Tylan50 orally as discussed in the other thread?
How are you mixing with water to ensure she's getting the correct dose 3 times a day?

The crop is not emptying - how are you addressing the crop problem?
If she's not responding to the correct dosing of Tylan, then it's unlikely Tiamulin is going to make a difference.
Finish your course of Tylan50 treatment while you wait on other medications.

Tylan50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

So she is 4 lbs. I’ll start giving her 1ml 3 times a day correct? I ordered the generic version of Denagard from Amazon & it will be her on Dec 4th. She is drinking a lot but not eating much. She has very watery diarrhea. Coughing has decreased since she’s been in the house.

Yes, 1ml of Tylan50 given 3 times a day for 5 days.

Is her crop emptying? Drinking a lot of water can be a number of things, but often the crop or digestive system is not functioning well when they drink a lot of water.

What's her other symptoms? Does she have mucous from the nostrils, bubbles in the eyes, facial swelling, lesions or canker inside the beak?
Any swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen?

Tiamulin is mixed with water, but it's reported to be bitter so sweetening it with karo syrup or fruit juice seems to be what most people do.

Not sure if this will be of any help, as I have a duck with similar respiratory issues that turned into pneumonia. After a month of trying various antibiotics that have not worked but only kept her from getting worse, the vet finally did a fecal float and a tracheal culture. Fecal came back positive for Trichomoniasis, which I just I finished stressing with 7 days Ronidazole.
She's much better but still coughing and congested. Culture came back for antibiotic resistant bacteria, and now the vet days we may have to do injectable antibiotics, which I am dreading, but will do if that's what it takes to save her.

I hope you can find the right treatment for your birdie and that she gets well soon ❤️

Hello again. Wanted to update on this girl of mine Gabby. She has stopped spitting up the fluid from her beak however she still has runny stool. Not diarrhea anymore but still very loose. I have been giving her monistat cream twice a day now for almost 3 weeks. What can I do to stop her diarrhea? She still does not lay eggs & has not swelling anywhere. She eats her feed normally now & still drinks ALOT! She still has a slightly pale comb & closes her eyes often & shakes her head. I finally got her integrated back into the coop 3 weeks ago & she is doing well with the others & acting normal for the most part. Sometimes she seems to be cold & my coop is heated to 40 degrees. They do have daytime access to their covered & enclosed run, but she does appear to be smart enough to go inside when she gets cold. BThis runny poop still concerns me. I’m afraid that she is just pooping out all the nutrients & hydration & that’s pro why she drinks so much. I have dewormed her with Ivermectin pour on & later safeguard in water. Tried Corid just in case she had coccidiosis. I don’t know what else to try to stop the runny projectile diarrhea. It is brown with food bits in it.

Any thoughts / suggestions for me are much appreciated.

@azygous
My last post / thread here was me attempting to update my original post that I started for my issues with Gabby. She is a 4 lb silver penciled rock & she has never laid an egg that I know of. She still has diarrhea & is back in my bathtub again today so I could collect her stools & she acted cold in the heated coop. So today I finally got my non available vet to do a fecal float & he confirmed she does in fact DOES HAVE GAPEWORM!! Which is what I originally thought but everyone said it’s so rare (this is how my life goes of course). Back then I did treat her with 0.25 ml per lb & she is 4 lbs so I was giving her 1 ml in her personal water x 5 days & she was drinking it all.
I will attach a screenshot of how my vet said to treat & what I have at home. I could go to TSC & get Valbazen or paste or something different if need be. I need your help deciding how to do this when all my chickens are different breeds & weights. I am not good at dosage/weight math so any solutions would be great!! A few of my birds have also started losing feathers around the face & neck area not sure if that is a molt of something different, but I read somewhere that you shouldn’t deworm when molting is happening😵‍💫😩

For the last 2 days I have had all 15 of my birds drinking acidified copper sulfate 1/4 tsp mixed in a 1 gallon jug. Not sure if it’s ok to just stop that & start the worm treatment when the ACS is already in their systems. This has seemed to help somewhat with the diarrhea & her poops have turned from liquid to mush looking & every so often dark tarry & those are very stinky.

Please help before I start another treatment. I’d like to have you opinion as well before I talk to the vet tomorrow.

Attachments

• BF4C9F93-FFCB-47C9-BC05-70EF384DF18E.png
    BF4C9F93-FFCB-47C9-BC05-70EF384DF18E.png
    817 KB · Views: 75
  • 7BC49F4F-8E66-4225-ACBA-03D88ACCEF02.jpeg
    7BC49F4F-8E66-4225-ACBA-03D88ACCEF02.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
As I am sitting here in my bathroom with her in the hospital tub she just bent over to preen she irked up some thicker clear fluid the consistency of spit & here’s her most recent poop since she just did it in front of me. That previous poop pic in my last post was maybe a hour before this one.

Attachments

• 86360D34-27D6-40B1-9916-A45C5C0390E2.jpeg
    86360D34-27D6-40B1-9916-A45C5C0390E2.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 11877AB1-7F8F-4028-A664-207AD12E947B.jpeg
    11877AB1-7F8F-4028-A664-207AD12E947B.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 4
Congratulations on being only the second person here on BYC in all my time here that I've run across with actual confirmed gape worm in your flock. Dubious honor that it is.

The easiest way to treat all the flock and not have to worry about adjusting for individual weight would be a worming med designed for the water. Fenbedazole (Aquasol) is a broadly recommended wormer for gape worm. The way you get around the individual weight calculation is to calculate the total estimated weight of the entire flock and put the flock dose in the water for five days. It would be best to repeat the dosing again in two weeks. Observe egg withdrawal during treatment and two weeks following the last day of treatment.

Chickens: Safe-Guard® AquaSol must be administered orally to chickens via the drinking water at a daily dose of 1 mg/kg BW (0.454 mg/lb) for 5 consecutive days.

This is an excellent wormer since it's also gentle, reducing the risk of shock from a heavy worm load.

Back
Top Bottom