Gapeworm or respiratory????

meghanhoyt1256

Chirping
Jun 1, 2019
I’m not sure if I should treat for gape or respiratory issues??? She just started doing this this monring. I got her from someone about 6 months ago and she’s always been raspy sounding but I never really worried about it becuase there were no other symptoms. No discharge from the eyes or nasal regions. I’ve attached a video of her. Which should I treat for??? I’m so confused. She’s still eating and drinking but I noticed when I brought her inside she was noticeably thinner...

I can’t figure out how to attach the video😭😭😭 only letting me attach photos. But she is stretching g her throat with her mouth open. like she’s gasping for air

Video's need to be uploaded to another host like youtube, and then the link put here, and they will show up. Respiratory infections are often mistaken for/confused with gapeworm. Is vet care an option for you? A fecal test or esophagus swab could rule in or out gapeworm for you, or ID a possible respiratory infection. Did you look in the beak, as far back as you can, and look for any lesions or matter there?

I’m not sure if I should treat for gape or respiratory issues??? She just started doing this this monring. I got her from someone about 6 months ago and she’s always been raspy sounding but I never really worried about it becuase there were no other symptoms. No discharge from the eyes or nasal regions. I’ve attached a video of her. Which should I treat for??? I’m so confused. She’s still eating and drinking but I noticed when I brought her inside she was noticeably thinner...

I can’t figure out how to attach the video😭😭😭 only letting me attach photos. But she is stretching g her throat with her mouth open. like she’s gasping for air
Video's need to be uploaded to another host like youtube, and then the link put here, and they will show up. Respiratory infections are often mistaken for/confused with gapeworm. Is vet care an option for you? A fecal test or esophagus swab could rule in or out gapeworm for you, or ID a possible respiratory infection. Did you look in the beak, as far back as you can, and look for any lesions or matter there?

It would be but there is not one near me that treats

It would be if there was one near me that treated them. I haven’t looked in the back of the throat yet. I’ve read that gape is not very common in chickens. I just don’t want to treat her for the wrong thing.

It's not common, but it's not impossible. There are mail in options for fecals that can be done:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee
I don't like treating for things that may not be there either. If you have no other options then I would treat for gapes and see if it helps, with the caveat that worming a sick, weak bird that is ill with something else is not always the best idea. Worming is generally safe, but in a weakened state things can be different. Treatment for gapes would be Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Safeguard horse paste at a dose of .23 ml per pound of bird weight for 5 days in a row, medication given orally, directly to the bird.

It would be but there is not one near me that treats

It would be if there was one near me that treated them. I haven’t looked in the back of the throat yet. I’ve read that gape is not very common in chickens. I just don’t want to treat her for the wrong thing.

Attachments

• 0A38AE35-5A82-4E0D-94E1-E1FC0B2F7BD0.png
    0A38AE35-5A82-4E0D-94E1-E1FC0B2F7BD0.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 81
  • 9ABE8F10-D861-4160-A6DD-417A58C61BF3.png
    9ABE8F10-D861-4160-A6DD-417A58C61BF3.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 81
Is your hen able to eat and drink? Chickens with gapeworms usually are in severe distress trying to breathe that they cannot et or drink. Chickens who are overheated will sometimes gape and pant, and hold their wings away from the body. Can you listen to her breathing for crackles or wheezes? Does she have eye or nasal drainage? There are a number of chronic respiratory diseases with different symptoms. Gapeworms can be seen in the trachea upon a necropsy (autopsy) in affected chickens, and the worm eggs can be seen in the droppings on a microscope by a vet.

Is your hen able to eat and drink? Chickens with gapeworms usually are in severe distress trying to breathe that they cannot et or drink. Chickens who are overheated will sometimes gape and pant, and hold their wings away from the body. Can you listen to her breathing for crackles or wheezes? Does she have eye or nasal drainage? There are a number of chronic respiratory diseases with different symptoms. Gapeworms can be seen in the trachea upon a necropsy (autopsy) in affected chickens, and the worm eggs can be seen in the droppings on a microscope by a vet.
She’s been wheezy ever since I got her about 6 months ago. I never thought anything of it becuase she never showed any other symptoms.

She may have come to you with a respiratory illness. With some of the virus's, they are chronic and symptoms will come and go, and often recurr with stress.

She may have come to you with a respiratory illness. With some of the virus's, they are chronic and symptoms will come and go, and often recurr with stress.
Would you suggest trying to treat for respiratory first? She got noticeably thinner too. She was pecking at some food when I left the house today. I’m headed to tractor supply now what would you suggest using?

Back
Top Bottom