Gaping/convulsing chick still alive...

Fed/watered/medicated her this morning and this was at the corner of her beak - looks like tiny threads. I have no idea if this is significant.

Just so you know - it is a great comfort to be able to share all this...

Attachments

• 98932.jpg
    98932.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 1
:( Paralysis could be Marek's disease. I'm very sorry.

Are you in the US?
If you lose her, sending the body for testing/diagnostics to your state lab may give you more information if that's something you feel you want to do.
It's quite understandable if you don't.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Indeed - I think this is a must. Thanks for the link.

Hi again.
Well, she didn't make it, though she battled valiantly.
Yesterday I had a virtual appointment with an avian vet in Anchorage and she thought gapeworm. Sadly she died in the night so I didn't have the chance to get her any Fenbendazole which the vet suggested .
I spoke with the State Veterinarian this morning to arrange a necropsy and he said he had not encountered any cases of gapeworm up here.
Seemed interesting that the two vets had conflicting such experiences.
So I shall be sure to post the results once I get them, probably in a new post with a video for anyone who experiences similar symptoms.
Once again, thank you for responding.

I'm so sorry to hear she didn't make it. Big, big hugs. :hugs

I'm glad that you decided to have a necropsy done though. Post your results here when you get them. That way all of the info is together.

Hi again.
Well, she didn't make it, though she battled valiantly.
Yesterday I had a virtual appointment with an avian vet in Anchorage and she thought gapeworm. Sadly she died in the night so I didn't have the chance to get her any Fenbendazole which the vet suggested .
I spoke with the State Veterinarian this morning to arrange a necropsy and he said he had not encountered any cases of gapeworm up here.
Seemed interesting that the two vets had conflicting such experiences.
So I shall be sure to post the results once I get them, probably in a new post with a video for anyone who experiences similar symptoms.
Once again, thank you for responding.
I'm sorry she didn't make :(

It's good that you will be getting more information, please do let us know what you find out.

Back
Top Bottom