Gaping Help

KimmerJB

Chirping
Jan 24, 2018
My 5 year old Wyandotte has been isolated due to gaping, no nasal or eye discharge. Her comb seems pretty dark - not her usual bright red. I gave her 250mg of amoxicillin/day for 7 days with no resolution. Day 3 of fenbendazole hasn’t helped either. I can’t get Tylan in my area and a vet is not an option. I’m not feeling anything in her throat while massaging. I hate to see her struggle…any suggestions?

Attachments

• 53052A41-CA06-4A87-A46E-06FD44102EDD.jpeg
    53052A41-CA06-4A87-A46E-06FD44102EDD.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 16
What is your location?

Climate? Sudden hot spell?

Have you looked into her throat with a flashlight?

Check in her ears for signs of crusting/infection.

Does she have access to grit?

What is your location?

Climate? Sudden hot spell?

Have you looked into her throat with a flashlight?

Check in her ears for signs of crusting/infection.

Does she have access to grit?
Thank you. I missed sharing that info as we’re trying everything to identify the issue. Northern Wisconsin. We did have a 90 degree day about 2 weeks ago. Yes, we looked in her throat with a light. Ears look good too. The flock does have access to grit. No other hens show symptoms. Crop is soft / empty with no smell. We are stumped.

Since the antibiotic, she may have a depleted gut. Try giving her a probiotic for a week. I like acidophilus, but any people probiotic tablets will do fine. Also, give her a dish of grit beside her food.

There is a chance she has a more serious underlying issue such as cancer, but try the easy fixes before worrying about that.

Since the antibiotic, she may have a depleted gut. Try giving her a probiotic for a week. I like acidophilus, but any people probiotic tablets will do fine. Also, give her a dish of grit beside her food.

There is a chance she has a more serious underlying issue such as cancer, but try the easy fixes before worrying about that.
Great tip! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom