Gaping

smdcleland

Songster
Sep 4, 2021
Upstate, NY
Hello everyone. One of my hens gapes a lot. She has since she was very young (she is currently 7 months). I figured she was adjusting her crop and it was normal for her, although she's the only one I've seen do this. Recently, when I pick her up, I can hear her breathing. It's not exactly weezing, but I don't hear any other chicken breathe when I pick them up. Now I'm worried between the gaping and being able to hear her breathe that something might be wrong. She acts normal (eating, drinking, scratching and pecking about the ground). Do you think this is normal for her or should I be concerned? Like I said, she has done this since she was little.

I do hear a cough every now and then but I don't think that's her. With Spring, everything is wet and stirred up these days.

Since all of the girls have been acting normal, except for this and the occasional cough, I have been trying not to worry. Would a chicken tell you if she was not feeling well or would she hide it like other animals do?

Gaping is merely a symptom of something, and it can be relatively minor or a sign of something more serious such as tumors or a chronic respiratory disease (CRD).

Chickens may hide the brunt of an injury or illness, but they always give us hints. They may limp, peck at or favor a limb with an injury. In the case of an illness, they will slow down as if in slow motion, or be unsteady on their feet, or hide in a corner with their eyes half closed.

You need to pick your chicken up and give her a thorough exam. Have someone help hold her. With a strong flash light, look into her ears for crusty buildup, in her throat for any plaque residue or mucous or anything other than a clean pink throat. Check her crop for over fullness, and check it again in the morning to be sure it is emptying over night. Feel all over for any hard lumps that shouldn't be there. Finally, what does her poop look like?

My girl is still stretching her neck up and opening her mouth. She is the only one who does it and had done it since she was a chick. It worries me. I looked her over and didn't see anything alarming. Her comb and wattle are red, and she is active and scratches around the yard. I don't know if I should just let it go or not.

I tried to look into her throat, but she wouldn't let me. I will try again tomorrow when my sister is over. She can hold her and maybe I'll be able to see better.

With the help of my sister, I was able to look into her throat and it was clean and pink. I don't know why she is doing that. My husband says jokingly that she's an obsessive crop adjuster.

Back
Top Bottom