Garbanzo beans?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farmerlor, Jan 8, 2009.

1. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

A friend of mine gave me some canned goods and stuff when she was cleaning out her pantry. We got a couple of cans of garbanzo beans. I have no clue what to do with them and it was suggested that I feed them to the girlies. Will canned garbanzo beans hurt the chickens? Beans in general? Are garbanzo beans even beans?

2. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I wouldn't feed them beans. It gives them gas and makes their heads blow off.

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Garbanzo beans are chick peas. I would think they would be ok as long as they aren't a choking hazard. [​IMG]

Shelly

4. egggarden

egggarden Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    They might be a bit too salty for your chooks. Put them on salad, or dump them in soup for yourself! If you do decide to give them to the chooks, perhaps rinsing them would get rid of some of the salt.

5. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    I use my chickens as a garbage disposal for any food that is not moldy or otherwise spoiled, and they LOVE beans of any kind-- great protein source. I would not be worried about the salt content of a couple cans personally, but my chicken feeding attitude is a bit laissez-faire.

Garbanzo beans are awesome for HUMANS processed into hummus, a middle eastern bean dip served with pita bread or corn chips:

HUMMUS
    1 15 oz can chickpeas drained, reserve 1/4 cup juice
    1 cloves garlic minced
    1-2 tsp lemon
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1/2-1 tsp ground cumin
    2 tablespoons tahini
    1-2 Tablespoons virgin olive oil

Place all ingredients in your food processor with the S blade and puree to a smooth creamy consistency. Garnish with paprika, olives, or parsley and drizzle with olive oil.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    well of course chicks can have CHICK PEAS!...[​IMG].....heehe...i am sure it wont hurt them though, as they are basically already cooked...BUT..i would smash them all up with a fork..just for a choking percaution..

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Sounds like a good idea. self-stuffing and self- processing birds. If we added some jalapeno would they self-cook as well.
    Imp-hungrily

8. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    OMG mrs ak bird brain and I were just dying laughing about this~!!!!

SO I am glad, I found this I really needed this laugh!

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:I figured someone would beat me to saying OMG make Hummus!!! YUMMY!!!! My favorite is with roasted red peppers blended in. [​IMG] It is goooooooood stuff. Even my kids love it!!!

10. ChickensInTheNorthWoods

ChickensInTheNorthWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North East CT
    canned beans are OK - just dont give them dried beans/peas of any sort, only cooked/soft ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by