Garden beds raised up off of the ground?

Well, the chicken poop in question has been sitting a while. It actually almost looks like dirt already. But then I have a pile that is newer and fresher. Maybe I'll let that sit a bit longer, just in case.

The wife and I would like to build our garden beds up off the ground a little bit. We were thinking that a bed made of 2x12's would have enough soil for good plant growth and if we only have it so that the top is 2' from the ground we'd still be able to reach the plants (without bending over) and there would be room underneath for the chickens to hunt for bugs and hide from air borne predators. I think I can just floor the boxes with plywood and drill holes in it for drainage (yes I know I'll have to replace it every couple of years).

Thoughts? Good idea bad idea?

Thank you for your time.
RichnSteph

I envisioned that being very nifty. 4x4 posts should have been plenty with maybe some in the middle holding up that weight. (My king sized bed has a center post to help with the span, lol) I was wondering if you ended up doing it, and if so, how did it work out for you? Carrie

Fresh chicken poop is high in nitrogen and needs to compost for abt 4 to 6 months, preferably with straw ormpine shavingsmto help balance it. Fresh poo will burn crops, with the exception being rabbit poo. That one can be put on immediately and will not burn due to nitrogen content. Be careful to not add too much or you will encourage more leafing than actual veggies. Too much of a good thing isnt always better.

Here is the article, "All About Manure" from the 104 Homestead to get you started.
http://104homestead.com/what-a-load-of-manure/

What a load of… Manure

022714.jpg

Black gold. It’s essential in the garden. Most choose the bovine poo, but there are many options to choose from, each with their own unique benefits. The question is, are you managing your manure in a safe way? Are your foods still safe to eat? With scares on TV about foods being sold that were contaminated with things like E. Coli. many people are now wondering if manures are safe to use in the garden. Less and less commercial farms are using manure in their operations. Should that be telling us something?

Fresh manures can pose problems for gardeners and often times they don’t do what we intended when they are fresh. First off, the nitrogen is often too strong and will burn or kill plants. Often times it’s the wrong form of nitrogen and bacteria for what your plants need. Only with aging will it be the right balance. Secondly, manures are composting “greens”. If anyone remembers their composting 101, you need to layer your “greens” with your “browns” for effective composting. Manures work best when mixed with straw, wood shavings and dried leaves. Thirdly, fresh manure can contain pathogens and salts from the animal’s digestive tract. Neither of these things will do any good for your gardens and most will harm in the wrong run. Proper composting of the manure removes these “imperfections” due to the heat build-up of the pile.

So which kind of manure is right for you?

Let’s do a brief rundown of the typical types:

* Chicken: The highest of all manures in nitrogen and phosphorus. May burn plants if it’s not properly aged. Make for fabulous leafy greens.
* Cow: A good all-purpose manure. Lower in nitrogen so it’s less apt to burn plants, but also lacks the nutrients that other manures may offer.
* Horse: Another good all-purpose manure, but like with cows, it tends to be lower in nitrogen. There is also a risk of weed seeds remaining in the manure.
* Rabbit: A nice dry manure that falls somewhere between cow/horse and poultry manures in regards to nitrogen levels.
Obviously there are other types of manures available (goat, bat, elephant), but these are the most common.
Best Types of Manure for Each Application

Garden Type - Type of Manure - Best Time to Apply
Flower - cow, horse, rabbit - early spring
Vegetable - chicken, cow, horse, rabbit - fall, spring
Root Crop - chicken, cow, horse, rabbit - fall, spring
Acid-Loving Plants - cow, horse - early fall

So how much poo should you use? For conditioning your soil, a rate of 40 lbs per 100 sq feet works well. For poor soils or new beds, you are better off doubling that. If you are just top dressing, a 1-2″ layer is more than sufficient.
- See more at: http://104homestead.com/what-a-load-of-manure/#sthash.2GFN1v2x.dpuf

Here is a peek at my beds. I have pre-built chicken runs that sit over top of the beds during spring & fall that aren't being cultivated in a particular season so that the manure can compost in the beds.

Also, because we prefer to spend more time in the garden and with the chickens, rabbits, and our dog sled team, we simplified the watering dilemma to the point where we just have to turn the selected beds on and walk away for a few hours. Loving the drip irrigation, even if the hoses are a pain at the beginning and end of the season.

Just tossing a few ideas out there. I have seen the kind you are talking about, but I don't see the longevity in those types of beds. The weight and moisture needed would make it hard to be feasible during hot summers. However to each their own.

Here is my raised bed.

In the beginning...

and now.

I didn't put a lot of soil in it this year, I plan on putting my deep litter in when I clean out the coop. I like using the cinder blocks. The holes give extra places to plant smaller stuff. I have strawberries, herbs and green beans in mine. You can build them as high or low as you need. This is about the right height for me, once I finish adding compost/soil in it this spring.

Last edited:
I envisioned that being very nifty. 4x4 posts should have been plenty with maybe some in the middle holding up that weight. (My king sized bed has a center post to help with the span, lol) I was wondering if you ended up doing it, and if so, how did it work out for you? Carrie

Carrie,
So far we've done nothing on the garden. We finally got the inside of the house done last weekend and have had company for the last two weeks (family) so I'm getting nothing done outside. I still have the back half of the acre to clear and level for the garden/chicken coop/shed/etc and get a foundation put down for the carport I have to build..... I'd forgotten how much work owning a home is. *laugh*

Yesterday we did pick up 6 boxes that are 3'x3' and 2' deep that we're going to split into 3'x3'x1's and used for the basis of the garden beds. The boxes are free from a local factory and they are pretty darn heavy duty. If they last 2 years we'll be happy.

Will keep you guys informed.
RichnSteph

Back
Top Bottom