Garden beds raised up off of the ground?

I have some small plants on tables right now that are getting started. I plant to section off a part of the yard for my garden (I'm trying a Straw Bale garden this year) because my chickens Free Range as well. I will build a small chicken tractor to let them help with weeding and bugs I think.

I have raised beds, but not on stands. I first broke up the soil and chopped it prior to putting my bed on it. Then i filled the beds up with garden soil, some peat moss, added a little chicken compost, then mixed it well. I have 4 beds that are 4' x 4' and approximately 10" high. The 10" is fine since I turned the soil beneath the beds first so they would have more depth. I have some very nice cabbage, onions, tomatoes, and potatoes growing now and plan on some more beds later on.

I'm just starting a garden for the first time. Our yard floods frequently, so we are building a raised bed. I'd love some input.

So far we've tilled the area. Tomorrow cement blocks are being delivered. My plan is to make a border with the blocks. They are 8" tall, so I think that should keep the water out.

Then I'm going to fill the frame with soil mixed with chicken poo. Then I should be ready to plant.

Am I missing anything? Ideas? Comments?

I'm not sure if it matters or not. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me will chime in. I THINK that maybe it needs to be composted first or it may burn. Not sure, but I know some people say this happens. I'm starting a little compost pile in the chicken run right now.

@sepaditty1 Sounds like you've got it covered. The key to a good garden is the soil. It should be rich and nutritious. And it sounds like yours will be! Good luck with your first garden!

@K9Dave I'm not quite sure either! You should definitely compost chicken poop.

As far as adding it into your garden- I'm not sure that it matters if it's fresh or already broken down by composting when you add it. I would say composted but then again, before we plant in our garden we mix in a bunch of cow manure and it's not always super fresh but sometimes is- we also do this a week or two before we plant.

I would say to use dried/composted chicken poop in the garden just to be safe. Or use fresh and let it sit for a bit before planting.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Back
Top Bottom