Garden lime on dirt run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LivingFate, Oct 28, 2008.

1. LivingFate

LivingFate Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    My run stinks! Its dirt, really hard compact dirt :mad: I dusted it with garden lime yesterday, I don't have a tiller, tried to work it into the dirt, didn't go so well. Do I have to work it into the dirt? Or can I let the chickens work it in as they scratch around? Will it harm them if not worked in? I use DE in the coop should I put some in the run too?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It needs to be worked in and watered down well before your chickens are in it. Lime can burn their feet.

3. LivingFate

May 18, 2008
    So if I don't have a tiller can I use a hoe or I don't know what its called but its metal and it looks like a rack? Then just get a hose and water it a bit?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The soil needs to be turned under. Get a shovel, scoop deep and flip. Then rake it all smooth.

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yes, you should have raked up the poo and used DE instead of lime. If you can't turn it under, can't you just take a garden hose and wash away all the lime off the soil's surface then put down your diatomaceous earth?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  6. LivingFate

May 18, 2008
    Thank you off to the run I go!

7. Dustoff79

Dustoff79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
  8. LivingFate

May 18, 2008
    My husband put lime in the run last night after we put the chickens into the coop for the night, next time I'll use DE. I'll look into Zeolite. Thanks

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i was wondering the same thing, thanks for posting the question. I grew up on a farm and I know lime can be dangerous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by