am I ever behind in posting.
I have never eaten a tame rabbit. Ate lots of wild cotton tails and snow shoes.
I planted my asparagus today. dug 20 holes, only needed 17. by the end, I was glad to not to have to plant 3 more.
most of them had ferns growing already in the 4" pots I had them stored in.
Yesterday I planted the second raised bed of strawberries. I ate 6 berries while planting.
I have 3 cherry trees to plant yet. The way I am getting things done, I will probably be eating cherries while planting. :lau
I have six tomatoes in pots. they are blossoming.
Wyo, Your plan to save that tomato plant sounds good to me. As an added attempt, I would lop off a decent sized branch and stick it into a pot of soil..
It doesn't take long for roots to form.
Just for s--ts and giggles I stuck some of the branches from when I trimmed the lower branches off when I planted the big plants. they are growing already.. As it turns out I really didn't want this many plants.. Oh well.. I can live with a dozen or so. It will be better than last year when I had 60..
.........jiminwisc.......

Yesterday the cooler weather gave me a burst of ambition. I set up a tub for another raised garden and planted 100 beet seeds.
I also planted a sample packet of lettuce seeds. only made one 3 foot row.
then I potted another beef steak tomato and a Rutgers.
Mowed some grass for the mulch for the tomatoes.
I have to get the grapes weeded and fertilized.
It is supposed to rain about noon. They can keep the hail and wind..
I still have about 7 tomatoes to pot up.
I have 8 already.
the raised bed strawberries are starting to produce a few berries each day. I have only 16 plants..
........jiminwisc......

I mix up my own potting soil mixtures, and have done for years. I purchase top soil, peat moss, and I mix in a quantity of sand.
I container grow much of my flowers, so I needed to get some more made up this year.
I noticed that ALL the bags of top soil,,,,, regardless if they were the cheaper ones, or the medium priced ones were poor quality,,,,,, COMPARED TO WHAT I USED TO GET IN PREVIOUS YEARS.
Contained sticks, rocks, plastic bottle caps, chunks of clay, Etc. (did not find any glass BTW :thumbsup )
I screened the mixture and threw out the unwanted items. An added step I never needed to before in the past. I used to just mix my ratios, in the wheelbarrow and fill my containers. I have limited grounds, so just cant go and rototill a quantity of topsoil in my yard.
Anyone else experience same as I???

Bummer, from the sound of it, I could start selling top soil. I know mine is better than that.
I mix my potting mix in the cement mixer.
I can do 20 gallons in ten minutes. I add nutrients at the same time so it is dispersed throughout the mix.
I have been keeping up with the watering. I have 8 tomatoes in pots. two tubs of strawberries, one tub of beets and a tub of beans.
the tubs are 2ft x 3ft x 8" deep. I have one tub left to fill.
I have to back fill the asparagus that I finally got planted. the trees, rhubarb, garlic are looking good. I have to weed the grapes.
I finally mowed some of the grass. collected about a half pickup load of hay.
I mulched the four trees real good with some of it.
the forecast looks like rain on and off for about the next week. OK...
........jiminwisc.......

Hi all,
Saturday a big storm system passed by. It went mainly to the south of us. We were on the very edge of it, so we got no wind or hail. 30 miles south they had golf ball sized hail and 60 mph winds.
It rained steadily all day. nice soft calm rain, just above a drizzle. we ended up with about 3/4".
My lettuce is up already. the beans are due any day, and the beets are due about July 1. I am not impressed with the container strawberries. I think I planted them too late. they are everbearing, so maybe as the summer goes along, they will produce a little more.
........jiminwisc.........

Back
Top Bottom