Pics
I've been looking for a ebook on gardening in a greenhouse in the south.
Auburn U wrote a series of books and sell them only on IBooks.
I have windows so I can't read them.

We are talking about building a greenhouse this year.

Do any of you know of any I can read on how to maintain the temp and humidity?
I'm also looking at getting some kind of shade cloth for July and August.
Fans, windows that open, and a heater in winter. Check out the book... How to Build Your Own Greenhousr by Roger Marshall. I got it from the library and then ordered on online. Chapter 5 addresses controlling the Greenhouse environment.

Fans, windows that open, and a heater in winter. Check out the book... How to Build Your Own Greenhousr by Roger Marshall. I got it from the library and then ordered on online. Chapter 5 addresses controlling the Greenhouse environment.

Thank you Cap! I will order this book. I appreciate your help so much.

And for those without ROCK for soil, there's a wonderful youtube series on a geothermal greenhouse (LDSPrepper) and there are some that are heated with Rocket stoves (paul wheaton, but there are many). Cooling is my biggest issue and lack of electricity doesn't help... Greenhouse mega store sells window arms that work off ambient temp without electricity, which have my interest. And there are solar fans that are pricey, but also have my interest.

Raised beds, back to eden or lasagna gardening, etc. No till methods or top-till only methods are great.
My sister with RA is planning on making beds with walls wide enough to sit on. Good stuff. cinder blocks work well for it.
Do what she does if you can... Enlist younger, healthier strapping young folks to wrangle your rototillers and double dig for you! Bake them a cake or feed them pizza in exchange! Good stuff. XD

And for those without ROCK for soil, there's a wonderful youtube series on a geothermal greenhouse (LDSPrepper) and there are some that are heated with Rocket stoves (paul wheaton, but there are many). Cooling is my biggest issue and lack of electricity doesn't help... Greenhouse mega store sells window arms that work off ambient temp without electricity, which have my interest. And there are solar fans that are pricey, but also have my interest.

Thanks for sharing this info. I will check out these video's.

Thanks for sharing this info. I will check out these video's.
My goal was to have four greenhouses setup and going by now, but life often gets in the way. My one greenhouse is winter housing/breeding pens for my birds and is sitting right where my orchard is supposed to go, but I look at the bright side, imagine what that soil will be like when I move the greenhouse. I'm also a loon that bends his own hoops.:oops:

My goal was to have four greenhouses setup and going by now, but life often gets in the way. My one greenhouse is winter housing/breeding pens for my birds and is sitting right where my orchard is supposed to go, but I look at the bright side, imagine what that soil will be like when I move the greenhouse. I'm also a loon that bends his own hoops.:oops:

I hope you get it all together soon. And yes your soil will be wonderful when you are ready to start your orchard.

Our little orchard was part of our cow pasture for many years and is good fertile soil.
I only want one small greenhouse for just the two of us. I don't plan on planting in the winter. Spring to fall is enough for us.

Yeah, i was going to try and plant my trees today and have been too busy on BYC. What a time sponge!

Good for you on doing your own bending! I am planning to build with wood.

Back
Top Bottom