Pics
I wondering if anyone was growing avacodo trees from the pits and pineapple tops inside as houseplants?

I have done both.

The avocados do best when they are organic ones to start with to me at least. Some people say if they arent organic you wont get fruit.. i dunno. I just know those grew better for me. But man it takes a looooooomg time. When we went to florida nearly four years ago i had a few just started plants. Gave it to a friend when we left that place this spring amd it was only bout five ft tall and no fruit yet. I used almost all compost in my avocados cause by trial and error they grow the best for me that way. And when i fed my orchids they got that also. Or when i made compost tea they got it. They love to be fed good stuff. And will tell you by gettin droopy when they need waterin.

Pineapples love heat. They need be watered in the middle cause that is how they get nutrients more than the roots. :confused:. I give mine orchid food when i feed my orchid every six to eight weeks. And i also dump either a lil compost or compost tea in the pot too. When they got huge and pokey i trimmed the long leaves to a manageable size. I planted ours by the water hose and we had use it a lot for the pool there. And i didnt like gettin poked lol. They did just fine with bein trimmed. They love a very light sandy soil with a bit of compost in there. But here i use probably 2/3 sandy loamy soil and compost in mine. If you dont have compost use a cold poop and potting soil. I planted three in my greenhouse in april of this year and just trimmed them to bring into the house cause the plastic on my greenhouse died a painful death after a bad storm a month ago. They were bout three ft across. It takes 18-24 months to get a fruit and it will most likely not be a huge fruit like you see in the grocery but omg so so much sweeter and juice will be runnin down your hand. :drool The mother plant will not rebloom but makes slips on the side of the bloomin plant (you can see slips at the base of r2elk’s beautiful plant in his pic) and usually at the bottom as well. Replant those and they do fruit sooner than just a top. Some people can get theirs to root in water... mine just die that way. I pull a few inches off the bottom of the twisted off top and put em in their pot and they do wonerfully for me this way. @R2elk had luck with the water rootin with his.

I put the pineapple tops in water they root easy for me. I guess I'll need to put them outside in the nice weather. I hope it will fruit one of my plants is over a year. Then I was wondering who ever grows peaches do you thin out your fruit? I had lots of wonderful peaches just on the smaller side. The tree is over 2yrs in the ground and fruited both years. I use goat ,chicken poop and organic fertilizer and compost everything.

I put the pineapple tops in water they root easy for me. I guess I'll need to put them outside in the nice weather. I hope it will fruit one of my plants is over a year. Then I was wondering who ever grows peaches do you thin out your fruit? I had lots of wonderful peaches just on the smaller side. The tree is over 2yrs in the ground and fruited both years. I use goat ,chicken poop and organic fertilizer and compost everything.
The first pineapple that bloomed for me was when I was moving from my last house to my current house. It was in the summer, the house was closed up and the pineapple plant was in a kitchen type bay window and it got very hot in there. I was only stopping at that house about once a week and was amazed by the beautiful blossom.

That pineapple was on the small side when it was ripe and fell off of the plant. It was very sweet and delicious. My experience is that the bigger the potting container is the bigger the fruit will be when mature.

I did an experiment in ky with my two peaches one year. One i thinned and the other not. While the not tree had tons of tinny fruit they were still very sweet and good. The thinned one had huge fruit but the taste was the same. So it just kinda depends on what size fruits you are wantin really.

The first pineapple that bloomed for me was when I was moving from my last house to my current house. It was in the summer, the house was closed up and the pineapple plant was in a kitchen type bay window and it got very hot in there. I was only stopping at that house about once a week and was amazed by the beautiful blossom.

That pineapple was on the small side when it was ripe and fell off of the plant. It was very sweet and delicious. My experience is that the bigger the potting container is the bigger the fruit will be when mature.

I loved watchin them bloom into lil beauts.

Thanks for the fishing line idea, we'll have to try putting some around the fruit trees next year. I just hope Hubs remembers it's there when out mowing with the riding lawn mower. I wonder what would happen if he hit the line going full speed? Might not be good! :eek:

I missed a few pages on here, but if there's something that would relieve my foot pain (as well as other pains), that would be worth finding out about. I don't like taking meds, so take as few as possible. I usually just suffer through my screaming feet. If there's some kind of cream that would help, that's really good news! Wonder if it would help my knees with osteoarthritis?
Aspercreme with Lidocaine!:wee

In TN the deer always thin out the peaches for us. And then they eat all of them!

Back
Top Bottom