does splitting come from over watering ? IDK.
we have seed stalks in the rhubarb already. I have to get them pulled.
raining just about every day. makes yard work difficult.

My understanding is splitting comes from a sudden increase in available water especially after a shortage of water.

It just seems to be common with Sun Golds. Weak skin??

I cut the flower stalks off my rhubarb yesterday. Actually, I don't know if it matters if they flower or not.
The bees love the rhubarb blossoms. I cut them off as soon as I see them. I let them bloom and go to seed one year. The next year I dug up something like 200+ seedlings and gave them away.

I got a packet of rhubarb seeds again this year. Will container plant them,,, and then transfer them into a garden bed before winter. What I have growing in the garden bed now is from 2 years ago. Not enough to make much use of,, but it is there, and now went to a seed stalk. I will let it do whatever it intends naturally.
I had some rhubarb growing from long ago,,,,, but it died off, some time ago:(

I don't have a clue what varieties of rhubarb I have.
Last year I wanted some to plant. I looked everywhere. I put the word out to everybody I knew. Then one day an old high school friend stopped in. Oh, I have all kinds of rhubarb, just come on over and dig up whatever you want. So I did. two five gallon bucketsful. Went to plant them. started dividing them. Had over twenty good sized roots.
After I had them all planted, my sister sent me two roots from her old plant. and then someone else gave me a couple of roots. I have a good sized patch started now. lol
then this year, our original patch that we thought had died out, started to grow again. there are four plants in that row.

Back
Top Bottom