did I mention that I was attempting my first batch of sauerkraut ever ? I started it on Nov 1
it is three weeks. yesterday I tasted it. the raw cabbage taste is gone and it is delicious
not as salty as the store bought stuff, which I ate very little of because of that.
and it is nice and crisp.
I am thinking of starting another batch. this time I will fill a whole gallon jar of cabbage.
If I get too far ahead on kraut, I will put it into canning jars and give it a water bath..
next week I am going to make ribs and kraut and dumplings and red potatoes..
will let you know how that goes, it will be my first attempt also..
never too old to learn..

1700723748018.png

Hope Everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Ours was good.

Although we walked into a house full of smoke - the turkey was burning. Mom just turned off the roaster but left it plugged in. I unplugged it because I had a Nesco that had the thermostat (whatever it is called) go bad and would go full tilt when plugged in - I was worried that her Nesco may be broken.
The turkey was salvageable - only the part of the bird touching the bottom of the roaster was burnt. The dark meat was actually still moist, but the drippings were burnt black and we had to have storebought gravy. Mom warmed it up, added the diced giblets and Dad didn't notice - lol

Gardening question - I was given some garlic to plant - but the ground has frozen. What are my options - can i plant it in pots indoors, use the backhoe and dig a trench for the garlic and backfill with unfrozen compost, place it on the frozen ground and hill it with compost? any other suggestions?

If you don't have very many to plant, I suggest one of these. I do have one, and used it to drill holes to plant bulbs, and other ground projects. Got mine from Menards.
Then fill hole with some potting soil.
The drill may be able to make a hole in frozen soil. :old :idunno
augur.JPG
image_2023-11-26_160258924.png

Back
Top Bottom