gardening question

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by agnes_day, Apr 25, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    well, i still havent planted my garden..it keeps raining every single weekend!! is it too late now?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I would say that depends on what you want to plant.

3. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I would check with you County Coop Extension, if not neighbors, farmers etc in your area. Where I am in NY, Hudson River Valley, I am going to be planting some cold crops, beets, carrots etc this weekend. Tomatoes, beans wont go in until after the full moon of May.

4. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Around here you're not safe to plant outdoors til May 15th.

5. huntinwidow

huntinwidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Warrior Alabama
    My Coop
    I am in central Alabama Zone 7 and now is fine to plant. My corn did not come up due to heavy rain so I just replanted yesterday. (I plant about 3/4 of an acre.) We have such a long growing season that we often plant again about late June or July for a second crop of some veg. I think Ok would be about the same.
    Good Luck! Happy gardening.[​IMG]

6. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

From another Okie gardner...It is never too late to plant a garden. It is late for seeds for cold crops but we can find some plants at local nurseries.

We can plant any warm season plants now and up thru mid June for a late summer/early fall harvest. You are still safe to plant seed for corn, beans squash, melons, okra, cucumbers.
    You will find nice plants for tomatoe and peppers at local Lowes, Walmart or Atwoods etc.

I just set out some late cabbage and will plant seed for corn,okra and more radishes after this next rain breaks...like Thursday.

Fall crops will be set out in mid July-August...corn, potatoes, and other crops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by