gardening

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by OHhappychicks, Feb 3, 2014.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Is anyone getting ready to start their tomato seeds yet? I'm looking for an easy way. Instead of planting in the small "plug" type planters, and then repotting them in the larger ones, does anyone just use the larger planters, 3x3's or so? Also, what type of organic starter soil do you use or will any type work? Also, what other plants do you start now? Just like to hear what others are doing! It's another cold snowy day here in sw ohio! Brrr! So just thinking of gardening and warmer temps!!! "sigh" Every February, I plan on getting my tomato seed started, but always let it slip away, so this year I'm determined to "getter done!!!!" [​IMG]

2. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    We use our rabbit and goat manure mixed with sand for our tomato's.
    We buy our plants now though and then fertilizes them and watch them grow.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I still start tomatoes in smaller pots and then put into bigger pots and cover much of the plant to get more root growth.

4. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    I'm getting anxious!!! Tired of snow and cold!!! Need to see something green!

5. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Oh haha you should come to Oklahoma and see the (green) cedar trees ugly things [​IMG]

6. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I dont need many for my raised beds.,but this is how I do it.I use an 8-10 inch flower pot. add 4" of potting soil.Water and plant 4-6 seeds.
    Then when the seeds get about 2" I add more potting soil.as they grow I add more till I get to the top of the pot.
    i then have nice healthy plants and usually 4-6 of each kind I want.

7. PimentoPlymouth

PimentoPlymouth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Quote:X2 I have had my fill this winter. Hopefully it will benefit the knat problem we have had the last two years here. I am so anxious to get outside and out of the house. Had cabin fever bad the last couple of weeks. Just built some raised bed boxes in the garage gotta get them out soon.

8. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    That sounds interesting! I need to do mine this week. We made maple syrup here, for the first time this weekend. I should have done my tomato seed on sat. It will have to wait until thursday now, my next day off! [​IMG] Time just is going too fast!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by