Garlic As Worm Treatment/Preventative

Prevention is the key factor in controlling parasites and the way to eliminate them is with chemical medications. I think everyone contributing to this thread is in agreement on that issue.

What I'm wondering is if there might be something else that might help in preventing parasites in chickens. Since there is no scientific evidence available I would like to hear all the anecdotal evidence from everyday chicken people. I, for one find it interesting.

Anecdotal evidence for preventing/controlling worms in horses: When I owned horses and was actively participating in activities that put my horses in direct contact with other horses I gave them tobacco. I did this for years with many horses and never had a one that developed a worm load so bad that I had to use chemical medications to eliminate them. My horses got two crumbled up cigarettes, minus the filters, the first of every month in their feed.

I can't prove this and some people will swoon in disgust that I would do such a thing to a horse but it worked and worked well.

It is examples like this that I'm looking for. Not trying to prove that herbs work better .....

Prevention is the key factor in controlling parasites and the way to eliminate them is with chemical medications. I think everyone contributing to this thread is in agreement on that issue.

What I'm wondering is if there might be something else that might help in preventing parasites in chickens. Since there is no scientific evidence available I would like to hear all the anecdotal evidence from everyday chicken people. I, for one find it interesting.

Anecdotal evidence for preventing/controlling worms in horses: When I owned horses and was actively participating in activities that put my horses in direct contact with other horses I gave them tobacco. I did this for years with many horses and never had a one that developed a worm load so bad that I had to use chemical medications to eliminate them. My horses got two crumbled up cigarettes, minus the filters, the first of every month in their feed.

I can't prove this and some people will swoon in disgust that I would do such a thing to a horse but it worked and worked well.

It is examples like this that I'm looking for. Not trying to prove that herbs work better .....
I find this super interesting. I've heard a lot of old cowboy folk swear by tobacco for horses. Never gave it much thought though.

I feel like whatever people use as a natural prevention seems like a waste of time and effort. Chickens will be Chickens, they eat soo many random things, they don't know it will hurt them down the road.

So monitoring there behavior and checking there poop daily is the best measure to help them recover.
I mostly agree with you here .... Again prevention is better than having to treat them in the first place. This is where I'm starting to really understand the idea of bio-security. Among other things you help the chicken not to ingest bad things by not letting bad things into their environment.

I find this super interesting. I've heard a lot of old cowboy folk swear by tobacco for horses. Never gave it much thought though.
Neonicotinoids are well known synthetic compounds for insect control. They are based on nicotine, whose presence in tobacco is not subject to reasonable debate.

That's the kernel of truth on which the wive's tale is based.

I had to put my horses into all types of "bad" places. They get worms same as any other live stock. Eating contaminated grass, weeds and other things they shouldn't have. From trail rides, cattle working, to search and rescue stuff my horses nibbled at everything. I know the tobacco worked since I had no trouble with parasites and others that rode in the same areas as I did, but didn't believe in the tobacco, were plagued with worms.

I just read a piece that promotes garlic as a natural way to treat and prevent worms in chickens. Supposedly just by placing a few garlic cloves in the drinking water will release sulfur and something else that I can't remember now. This is supposed to take care of the worms and help to prevent them in the first place.

Has anyone had any experience with this method of worm treatment?
I have read several different opinions on this and it seems to work. I would be interested to see what others say :)

Neonicotinoids are well known synthetic compounds for insect control. They are based on nicotine, whose presence in tobacco is not subject to reasonable debate.

That's the kernel of truth on which the wive's tale is based.
Some of those "Old Wives" and the old cowboys that married them were pretty smart. I have no scientific evidence to prove it but from years of experience ... tobacco works on worms in horses what ever the reason.

Some of those "Old Wives" and the old cowboys that married them were pretty smart. I have no scientific evidence to prove it but from years of experience ... tobacco works on worms in horses what ever the reason.

I refer you back to my post on page 3, in part

Naturally grown plant materials have useful compounds, yes - but how much, and in what part of the plant, will vary with species, with planting location, with time of year, and even from year to year. Its what separates herbalism from pharmacy - known compounds in known concentrations offered in known dosages with a generally well known (or at least broadly accepted theory) of HOW, chemically, it does what it is purported to do.

I'm not in the "it never works" camp, I'm in the "we've progressed beyond stone tools and invoking the Spirits" camp.

I see posts about not using DE, Why? Newbie here?
I use DE for millipedes and it works great as long as it is dry. The package information says not to breath it in as it will cause respiratory issues and do not use it in wet or damp places because it doesn't work when wet.

From this I have assumed that if its bad for me to breath it's probably bad for the chicken to breath also. If it doesn't work when wet, then feeding it to the chickens for worms probably won't work either since their insides are wet and damp. I don't know this for sure but I don't personally use DE on or around my chickens based on the package cautions.

On the other hand, some folks swear by it ...... :idunno

Back
Top Bottom