Garlic in your eggs, anyone?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Jennie5193, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    I have been putting crushed garlic in the chickens water along with the ACV for the immunity reasons.

Today was the first time we had an egg breakfast out of "our" chickens. (Even though we've had laying hens for two weeks, we were still eating up the store bought ones that I'd gotten before we got the hens!)

It was DELICIOUS! My DH cooked them and I couldn't believe how yummy they were (this is the 1st time I've ever had eggs not gotten at the grocery store). Then I realized that it had a garlic flavor. I thought he'd just put in some crushed garlic or something so I told him that the garlic in them gave them an extra kick.

He said he didn't put garlic in them. [​IMG]

I wonder how the Lemon Meringue Pie I'm making later today is going to taste!!! Or the stuffed eggs we're having for lunch? Or the breakfast casserole I'm taking to church tomorrow? [​IMG]

2. thistlecreek1

thistlecreek1 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    I would think the garlic would be great in everything but the pie.

3. I always add garlic powder to my deviled eggs, love them marrie

4. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Thats too funny! [​IMG]

I will have to remember this and give them garlic. That way we wont have to use so much. [​IMG]

5. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    [​IMG]
    I've read that if you give chickens garlic or fish, they're eggs will taste that way. I remember last summer, a banana truck droped a bunch of bananas next to the street we lived on. We collected most of them to give to family members and to keep fr ourselves. We obviously didn't realize that we got way more that we would ever need. By the end of about two weeks, we had a whole bunch of black bananas, and even with all the banana bread we made, there were still many left over. But don't think they went to waste, after the chickens tried their first banana, they were hooked. They ate all of them in 2 days flat. For a whole week after that, their eggs had a sweet flavor. They were still very good, though. Later we found out that the bananas affected the chicken's eggs!

~Rio

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    I'm gonna start feeding them bacon...

7. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Bananas?!?!?! I didn't think about that! I bet that would be good!

This opens up a whole new culinary exploration!

Good thing I haven't started selling any, yet. I'd hate to have to refund because someone didn't like garlic...

OR BETTER YET... I could sell them for *more* because they're "Designer Eggs". [​IMG]

Let me know how the bacon turns out! I imagine if you fed them sage it would make a great sausage egg biscuit. Yummy.

8. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    How about chocolate?? Would that work??? [​IMG] YUM! YUM!!

sandyj

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:Duh... where do you think these come from??? Just mix some M&Ms into their feed and you'll have some by Easter.
    [​IMG]

10. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Our flock gets garlic once a week for preventative health. The oldest birds are almost 3 years old. We have never had eggs that tasted like garlic. Since I sell the majority of the eggs, I'm sure one of my customers would have complained if they noticed the garlic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by