Garlic Leaves Turning Yellow?

Stepnout

Crowing
5 Years
May 6, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I posted earlier this spring about growing garlic for the first time. It seems to me something is not quite right with my Hard Neck Porcelain Music garlic. The leaves are starting to yellow, see the pictures bellow. It is no where close to being time to harvest where I live and the garlic have 5-6 leaves and no scapes are starting to form.
My research brings me to several conditions that may cause the leaves to yellow:
1) Frost damage...I don't think we've had any frost!
2) Too much rain or wet ground. I wouldn't consider this location to be wet.
3) Disease from previous garlic or onions. Have never grown onions in 39 years and never garlic.
4)Nitrogen shortage. I used bone or blood meal when I planted last fall and applied some 10-10-10 3 weeks ago. I also watered with some Miracle grow 20-20-20 five days ago as I was seeing leaves starting to yellow.
5) I also see where too much Phosphate can create yellow leaves. Last year I sent a soil sample away and one of the things noted is my soil in this garden has both medium high phosphate and calcium. A search on the web suggests to use a fertilizer with low or zero phosphate. Over the years I have used manure from Cow, hoarse and my chickens. All are high in phosphate.
6)Onion maggots, wire worms. Wire worms I have and plenty of them. I think I'll dig a few plants up and look for wire worm damage.

Please have a look at the pictures and let me know what your thoughts are on the colour!
Best Regards
Wayne
PS: I've pulled back some of the mulch a week ago looking for slugs and bugs. I don't see anything obvious.

Attachments

• IMG-3088.JPG
    IMG-3088.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG-3089.JPG
    IMG-3089.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG-3090.JPG
    IMG-3090.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
What zone are you in? Did you plant it last fall?
I am in zone 5B and I planted it in October. I ordered it from
Vesey‘s Seeds. They specialize in seeds for this area.
Another reason I pulled back the mulch I was thinking maybe it was too wet but I don’t feel this this to be the case.
Here is a link for the garlic I purchased.
https://www.veseys.com/ca/porcelaingarlic.html

Last edited:
@Stepnout ... hmmm. I think your garlic looks about like mine, as far as size. I have Music, and I'm in zone 5B too.

You might be onto something with high phosphorus; can you get a soil test to see if that's a problem? This is what I found when I looked up high phosphorus symptoms in plants:

"Burning of leaf tip or margins. Bronzing, yellowing and leaf splitting. Reduced leaf size and lower growth rate."

Excess P can make iron and zinc unavailable to the plant through the soil, but you can use a foliar spray to help. (Again, just what I've read; never done that.)

As far as the scapes go, I don't get those until late June. If you're suspecting insect pests, dig up one or two of the worst affected bulbs to look. The bulbs won't be very big yet, so don't worry about that.

Let us know what you find!

You might be onto something with high phosphorus; can you get a soil test to see if that's a problem?
Yes I had a soil test last year. I have 2 good size gardens. The one in question has been used for many years. I have amended my soil with manure, leaves, grass, wood chips, for over 39years. Not every year of course. Loom at the attached test results and you can see the garden noted as House is very high in P
Also take note of the recommended NPK 120-90-90!
so I should not be using 10-10-10 or 20-20-20. That maybe it. I’ll have to go to a farm store and buy a higher nitrogen fertilizer for this field.
I’ll go out now and check a few bulbs for insect damage

Attachments

• C1235077-BBA3-42DA-A39F-9E2443121DAC.png
    C1235077-BBA3-42DA-A39F-9E2443121DAC.png
    599.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
The calcium and magnesium are very high. Could that be part of the problem?

Just curious... a lot of the numbers have no designation of low or high. Any idea why? I've never gotten a test done, so I'm not familiar with how to read them.

Looking closely at my report I see my soil in both gardens show .5 and .6 ppm of Boron. The research I've done points to yellowing of the tips of plant leaves and hollow heart in Turnips, rutabaga's and beets. I frequently have hollow heart in my rutabagas. Some of the university extensions in the US show many crops needing AMAZING AMOUNTS OF MORE BORON THAN MY FIELDS HAVE! It may be time to break out the MULE team Borax!
I also see I may need Zink added as my levels are 4.4 and 10.5 ppm.

Table 2. Sufficiency levels of zinc for major agronomic crops, vegetables, and fruits grown in Minnesota​

CropPlant partTimeSufficiency range (ppm)
AlfalfaTops (6" new growth)Prior to flowering21-70
AppleLeaf from middle of current terminal shootJuly 15-August 1520-50
BlueberryYoung mature leafFirst week of harvest25-60
BroccoliYoung mature leafHeading20-80
CabbageHalf-grown young wrapper leafHeads20-200
CarrotYoung mature leafMid-growth25-250
CauliflowerYoung mature leafButtoning20-250
Edible beanMost recently matured trifoliateBloom stage15-80
Field cornWhole topsLess than 12" tall20-70
Base of earInitial silk20-70
GrapePetiole from young mature leafFlowering20-45
PeaRecently matured leafletFirst bloom25-100
PotatoFourth leaf from tip40-50 days after emergence20-40
Petiole from fourth leaf to tip40-50 days after emergence20-40
RaspberryLeaf 18" from tipFirst week in August15-60
SoybeanTrifoliate leavesEarly flowering21-80
Spring wheatWhole topsAs head emerges from boot15-70
StrawberryYoung mature leafMid-August20-50
Sweet cornEar leafTasseling to silk20-100
Sugar beetRecently matured leaves50-80 days after planting10-80

Last edited:
I would say if your soil is high in Calcium that bone meal or lime would be contraindicated, while it will raise the soil pH it will also increase your calcium levels. You may be on to something with the Phosphorus.

The 120-90-90 is recommended application amount in kilograms of supplement per hectare (that equals 264 pounds of Nitrogen, 198# of Phosphate, and 198# of Potash per hectare). The numbers on the fertilizer bag are the ratio of the ingredients, based on % by weight, not the amount in weight of each. Which you could easily get by multiplying the ratio number times the weight of the bag.

There are 11959 square yards in a hectare, so you are looking at applying .022/.016/.016 pounds of each to each square yard of garden, if that helps.

I never mulch right around the base of alliums, just along between the rows if I do any at all, to avoid moisture issues, and as alliums like the bulbs to be close to the surface.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom