Garter Snakes in my yard...

kiaya611

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Lebanon, OR
I was curious. I have allot of Garter snakes in my yard. They don't bother me, but I assume that my chickens will kill/eat them. Will it hurt them if they eat the snakes? These snakes are only about 18" to 24" long. My chicks are only 3.5 weeks old now and aren't outside yet, but I can only imagine that when it gets warmer and the snakes get even more active, there will be more of them. I would be interested in your input.

Thanks,

Nope, won't hurt them a bit... Chickens, being omnivores, will eat almost anything that doesn't eat them first...
smile.png

A two foot long garter snake could be a risk to the eggs, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Much more likely is that the hens will eat the snakes, from the sound of it!

-MTchick

Thank you very much, I thought that was the case, but I wanted to be sure. I knew garter snakes had that nasty stuff they released on you when you picked them up and I didn't know if that was somehow harmful to chickens. I guess they will be getting some additional protein from the snakes that find their way to the chicken yard.

Thanks again.
smile.png

Actually cornsnakes squirt this musky stuff all over you...Hasn't happened to me thankfully...
I've had both cornies and garters at the store. They most likely won't bother the chicks because they're too big for them to swallow.
You're right about the eggs. They hunt by heat so an egg that's just been laid or was being set on is nice and warm and they'll eat that.
My Jerry saw a teeny garter when he was a cockerel and jumped sky high and bagawked his little lungs out...
We used to have HUGE garters, but I think the raccoons took em all out...now we have just little ones. A foot to a foot and a half.

Hi, garter snakes aren't any problem where I'm at,they avoid chickens around here.
Last year one of my Turken pullets ate a small copperhead like a piece of spaghetti
tongue.png
I was worried about her but she was fine.
smile.png

Miriam

My Rhode Island Reds totally freaked me out when I first witnessed one eat a garter snake, so I was wondering the same as you. Luckily we have this forum available to us back yard farmers...:lol: My chickens are approximately 5 months old, I live in Arkansas (I'm from Colorado) and it has been very hot lately. So I'm wondering that with as close as it is getting for them to begin laying, is the heat keeping them from already starting. I'm adding SAV-A-CHICK electrolyte packets to one gallon of water as well as a probiotic packet in the same water as the electrolytes. I'm doing this for several reason with one of them being that all the farm supplies stores in my area are out of the medication that helps get rid of coccidia (spelling?), I was instructed by a store employee to use the SAV-A-CHICK products until the medication comes in to the store for me to purchase. I would greatly appreciate any natural home remedies that I can use to help get rid of the coccidia, I would rather use herbs to get rid of coccidia than a manmade product. Thank you, God bless all of you:)

My Rhode Island Reds totally freaked me out when I first witnessed one eat a garter snake, so I was wondering the same as you. Luckily we have this forum available to us back yard farmers...:lol: My chickens are approximately 5 months old, I live in Arkansas (I'm from Colorado) and it has been very hot lately. So I'm wondering that with as close as it is getting for them to begin laying, is the heat keeping them from already starting. I'm adding SAV-A-CHICK electrolyte packets to one gallon of water as well as a probiotic packet in the same water as the electrolytes. I'm doing this for several reason with one of them being that all the farm supplies stores in my area are out of the medication that helps get rid of coccidia (spelling?), I was instructed by a store employee to use the SAV-A-CHICK products until the medication comes in to the store for me to purchase. I would greatly appreciate any natural home remedies that I can use to help get rid of the coccidia, I would rather use herbs to get rid of coccidia than a manmade product. Thank you, God bless all of you:)

Welcome, Sheila.
You really need to get your birds on Corid for the coccidiosis, as it is a swift killer.
If no stores in your area have it in stock, you can order it online and get next-day delivery.
Corid 20% soluble powder dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5-7 days.
Make it up fresh daily and make sure they have no access to "untreated" water.
You will see improvement by the first or second day of treatment.

As for the heat, YES it can have a negative effect on egg laying.
Make sure your birds have shade, a fan or water mister, fresh water always, frozen treats, etc..
Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom