Gas strike tomorrow. Anyone else heard about this?

IMO best thing a person can do is fill up 3-4 5 gallon gas cans...about one tank full right now. A month or two from now, fill the car with the cans. If it lasts you a week or a couple days, the gas company will feel it. Sure sales will be good this week, but next month? SLOOOOOW. Feel free to bash this concept.
fl.gif

Hey guitarist

funny you should say that. I just told my husband yesterday that if the gas goes up too darn much, I am going to buy some of those "horsie depends" and ride my horse to the store. Tehe! I'm serious. This is ridiculous! I think if everyone boycotted the big gas companies like Exxon, Chevon, etc, that might make a difference. Its just really hard for people who work not to get gas and try to get to work. HOWEVER, I think if we had more warning, say a weeks time, everyone could gas up and then tell them to go to >>>> for more than a day. That might make them stand up and take notice.
smile.png

I got that text, and like I replied to it: One day of not fueling does not even put a dent in the pockets of those controlling the price. It would take a sustained effort on the majority of the gas-buying public to reduce the amount of gas they use. I drive a large 4 door Ford pickup, and it gets $25.00 on payday no matter what the price is. I make a point of purchasing my supplies as close to home as I can, which is not easy because I'm out in the middle of nowhere in a small un-incorporated area and the closest large stores are in El Paso. Yes I pay more for my feed, and my groceries but it is less than it would cost to drive to El Paso. If I have training for work I have to drive for then I do have to add gas but I try not to.

If everyone would try a "boycott" for two weeks, that would make them sit up and take notice. If you had told me I could make it on $25 worth of gas last year I would have said you were nuts, but yes I can do it. I am lucky enought to live less than 3 miles from where I teach though, so others might have to say they'll only buy $50 for 2 weeks.

I challenge you to do it.

Kate

Considering gas hit $4.09/gallon today where I live (diesel is $4.49) I don't know that I can afford to buy gas tomorrow anyway.
sad.png

I wonder if any body knows when WW1 and I think WW2 the Gov. put a price cap on gas and in the 70's we had gas coupons and long lines at the pumps. I drive a 84 toyota van 10 years ago it cost me 12 bucks to fill up now it is costs to 40 for the same van. It is going to get to the point that people will have to chose between food or gas to get to work.My hubby and I just closed our Plumbing company because we could not afford the gas in our trucks in a 3 month period spent 1700 dollars on gas alone for just 1 truck. We started back in 1997 so we were not a young company by no means..

Mindy

I think it's already gotten to the point about choosing food vs. gas. My grocery list has significantly changed. We could really never afford to go out and eat so orderig a pizza filled that gap. Well, now to order a pizza to feed our family of 5 ( of course got to have wings ) costs me almost $40. That's crazy. So now that special thing for the kids is over too. Steak is no longer an option. Our red meat is burgers. I know I am more fortunate than others so I don't complain much.
I have horses so I tow and need a big enough truck to do so, thank God I don't have a diesel but here in NY it costs me just under $80 to fill my 26 gal. tank. I go through that in a week's time. I don't even work outside the home so those of you who do I can't imagine what you pay.
The biggest frustration is knowing how the American families are struggleing, and now selling and pawning posessions to pay bills or get food and the oil companies continue to have huge profits. It doesn't add up.
I certainly don't want to get into anything. It's all just crazy.
In my honest opinion though, the gas out or whatever will never work. It needs truckers to strike I think to make a dent in this issue.

I just went back to reading some of the other posts. I agree that a more long term "strike" so to speak will hit harder than a massive one day thing.

Folks have to be creative. Maybe comapnies can reduce the work week to 4 days ( but longer ) for those that can. Or work from home, or ride your bike, car pool, or horse
wink.png
, etc. They say it's supply and demand. Well, let's not demand so much.

Back
Top Bottom