Gas strike tomorrow. Anyone else heard about this?

s6bee I do not think we will ever get the truckers to stop. but it would drop the gov to they knees if it ever happens..

Mindy

I know the Trucking industry was on the news a couple weeks ago about a possible strike. It seems to have fallen to the way side. It will kill those families since they wouldn't get paid.
I don't know, it's just frustrating.
Food is outrageous too! I will be growing a lot of my own veggies this year. I have no choice really. My average food bill went up by around $30 per week, and that's after cutting back on what I usually buy.

There has to be a light at the end of the tunnel......

Realistically speaking not buying gas would hurt our local store far more than it would the gas and oil company. We have ONE gas station - ONE. Any others are about 10-20 miles away and punishing him for the price of gas is wrong in my opinion. Especially when he runs "specials" and takes 10 cents off a gallon every now and then.

Likewise...
I work from home, so I don't HAVE to drive anywhere, but I know for a lot of people it's costing them more to go to work because everything they make goes into the gas tank. Especially people in the rural areas that have to commute 30-40 minutes one way. This is insane!

Another of my contrarian views:

Gas is still remarkably cheap, considering how difficult and dangerous it is to produce. Milk, for example, is more expensive, but much, much easier to produce. Why don't we hear about milk strikes?

Visit Europe and try $9 a gallon.

Exxon/Mobile and etc. are making huge profits because they're huge companies. On a return-on-investment basis, they aren't out of line at all. If you think their profits are enormous, become an owner - buy some of their stock. Not only will you make money, but you can go to the stockholders meetings and speak directly with the officers and directors.

The era of unlimited cheap gas is over. We'd better get used to it. It will no longer be painless to drive SUV's to the health club so we can walk on treadmills, or to buy strawberries and lettuce from thousands of miles away. Here are some positive suggestions:

Walk, ride a bike, combine trips, drive efficient vehicles. Don't buy petroleum-based plastic junk you don't need. Heat with wood. Wear a sweater. Plant a garden. Keep a few hens.

wink.png

Last edited:
I know gas is high in other places, but they also have great public transportation to offer communities. Unless you live in the city here in the US, it's tough to get any of that. We've done away with the train system, bus system etc. America is sprawled out.
The problem is wages aren't catching up to the increase in EVERYTHING. I'm tired of hearing what it costs in other places. We don't live there, we live here and know what it should and can cost us.
And do you really think the average person could even afford owning enough shares of these oil companies to make a profit?
Why do we always compare gas to milk too? Uh, typically a family will go through no more than 1-2 gal. milk a week. Can't make the same comparison.

Quote:
I'll take your $52 for the honda accord and raise you my $80 for a dodge truck... Sometimes, depending on how much I've traveled, this is my weekly expense. Needless to say, I do try not to drive unless I absolutely have to. However, I still have a 50 mile round trip commute 5 days a week...
idunno.gif

Quote:
You've piqued my curiosity. What "should" gas cost? And why?

Quote:
A share of Exxon/Mobile costs less than a pair of shoes, less than a dinner out with my family, less than a tank of gas in my truck, less than a dozen hatching eggs from a good breeder.

Do you own a computer? A digital camera? A car? Are you overweight? If you think you're poor I could post some photos from Zimbabwe and Haiti that would make you feel better.

Back
Top Bottom