Gash on back at base of tail

Grandma Goldie

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Webster County, MO
A neighbors dog caught one of my hens and there is a 2 inch gash on her back just at the base of the tail. I don't think she is hurt anywhere else, just some feathers gone. She is a 7 mo old BR. What can I put on the gash to help heal it. I do have her isolated in a pet taxi.

I had a very similar injury with one of my Barred Rock Hens. My hens tail looked like the dog tried to pull her tail off. What I did, was clean it out really good and pack it with neosporin. It took about 3-4 weeks to fully heal over, but it did. If you see any signs of infection, put her on a broad-spectrum antibiotic immediately (available at Vet supply stores and most feed stores). I would keep her inside since dirt can cause infection, other chickens may peck at it and flies would love nothing more than to lay eggs in it. If it is cleaned well and no infection sets in, then you shouldn't have a problem. I am really sorry that she got attacked!!
sad.png

Hi Grandma Goldie
When my rooster had a bad cut I researched a lot on this subject.
Good idea to isolate your bird to reduce feather picking
I would give her more room than a pet taxi though, more like a dog crate.
MAKE SURE CONDITIONS ARE SUPER DRY! Prevernt infections it saves so much work. Maybe put some petroleaum jelly on it. Post again if there is an infection. Chickens heal extremly fast and she should be able to pull through fine. IF its freezing where you are bring her inside. Make sure when you put her back out do it slowly or on a warm day to prevent a shock.
Good luck with your bird!

I forgot to add my rooster got a huge gash and became infected with flies. I had to give him extremly unhealthy bleach baths to exterminate the flies. So i would definitly put the jelly on. But dry conditions (with air flow) is the absolute best thing you can do. At this time of year their shouldnt be toomany flies out anywho.

Thanks so much for your replies. I do have her inside the house but I may have to put her in the garage. The house seems to be too warm for her. She did eat some scrambled eggs ( I know it doesn't seem right but they love them) and was talking to me a little. I will keep you posted. I still have one more BA that I can not find, so I am afraid the dogs might have gotten her or else she ran the opposite way of the other hens to hide. Hopefully she will show up by tomorrow.

Hey chicago, your fly comment gave me an idea...I know with dogs and cats you can give the flea pill Capstar to kill off maggots in a wound, I wonder if one could do that with birds?

Actually, the bird should heal up without any help. Keep her inside away from other birds. If they see blood they'll peck her to death. I had a Roo cut one of my hens, and just pulled her inside for a month. She is just fine. I had a Racoon cut open one of my pullets tummys and she heal up. Can't tell her from her sis's. So let them do all the healing. Should be just fine. Good luck!

lidimkin....I dont agree with you 100%.. The jelly Really helps prevent infection and needless fly problems. Why not put jelly on? Yes a bird can heal bye itself but it can heal easier with the help of the jelly.

occamstazer - I think your right it would work but i think you wouldnt be able to eat the eggs for awhile and the meat would be tainted. But thats because im assuming its orally taken. is the pill oral or do you put it on the wound. Good idea (;

Back
Top Bottom