Gasping for air

I'm not so sure she's gasping for breath. I've had a few chickens in respiratory distress and they didn't do that. Instead, they "rattled" when they breathed.

Chickens do that movement when they have discomfort in their crop. Is her neck injury low enough where her crop could be affected? Is her crop full by any chance? Fluid buildup perhaps? It would feel like a water balloon.

She doesn't look like she's gasping for breath because she's dying, that looks very different. Was she breathing like this just after the attack or did it start after you gave her water?

But to answer your question, for further understanding, the attack happened Thursday night (it is now Sunday). She would not eat or drink all day Friday. I force fed her water and food Friday night and Saturday morning. These breathing issues were not present until this morning.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so heartbreaking when you can't save them. You did the best you could for her. ((hugs))

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so heartbreaking when you can't save them. You did the best you could for her. ((hugs))
Thank you so much. It really is so heartbreaking! Ugh! I guess we learn a little more and more along this chicken journey thanks to helpful folks like you guys. Thanks again.

But to answer your question, for further understanding, the attack happened Thursday night (it is now Sunday). She would not eat or drink all day Friday. I force fed her water and food Friday night and Saturday morning. These breathing issues were not present until this morning.

Back
Top Bottom