Gasping hen

Willit

Hatching
Mar 12, 2023
My favourite hen is gasping for breath. She's been getting worse over about 2 months. The vet has run out of ideas and is puzzled as to what is wrong with her. All the other hens are fine, she's had 2 lots of antibiotics and been treated for gapeworm and it's made no difference. She's had no other symptoms, she's been laying and feeding and has no discharge from eyes or beak. Just struggling to breathe and she's now starting to get tired. Any ideas what else might cause this?

My favourite hen is gasping for breath. She's been getting worse over about 2 months. The vet has run out of ideas and is puzzled as to what is wrong with her. All the other hens are fine, she's had 2 lots of antibiotics and been treated for gapeworm and it's made no difference. She's had no other symptoms, she's been laying and feeding and has no discharge from eyes or beak. Just struggling to breathe and she's now starting to get tired. Any ideas what else might cause this?
Did you vet do x-rays or ultrasounds? It might be that she broke a rib or her back is out of alignment or something?
I'm sorry this is happening to you and you and your hen!

*Edit* is her tongue where it ought to be?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom