gasping when excited- holding wings out- help!?!

If it is gapeworm ( which I dont think itis but never the less) you better check the others rarely does just one have it. Also you will need to retreat in about 7 to 10 days. gapeworm symptons-gasping, coughing, eyes closed, head drawn in, yawning, head shaking, death. possible respirtory disorders- air-sacdisease,aspergillosis, chlamydiosis cholera CRD, cryptosporidiosis, emphysema,flukes, infectious bronchitis,infectious laryngotracheitis, infectious synovitis influenza newcastle, pox, roup, swollen head syndrome which all of these have somewhat similar symptoms and most are treated with antibiotics.

Nightly check-in:
Ina made a ROYAL mess today! Not a speck of food left in her bowl- most of it was all over her cage- goober
D.gif

So she was a bit wheezy, and she was still mouth breathing, but not gasping.
DH and I finally got to grab her and give her a clipperoo- during which she behaved pretty well- got more gaspy (she was stressed)
I set her back in her cage, and she started grooming herself- she got muffin bits dunked in her vitamin water, which she devoured... and then she was "tucked" in to bed.

I wouldn't say we made "progress" today- but she's not any worse. I feel so bad to leave her locked up for so long!
How long should I give the meds to work before I try something else? 3 days? 10 days? Poor baby needs some grass time
sad.png

Ina looked really well yesterday, so we put her back out with her buddies- some pecking order business went down, and then things seemed normal.

Until it came to dust bath time. Back in the dust, and out came the gasping! Out of the dustbath- stops gasping. She acts normal in EVERY OTHER WAY! Full appetite, eats very well, poo is normal, active, alert, no dishcharges...
I was giving them snacky bits later in the evening, and tossing them, which makes the girls run- and Ina had what looked like an asthma attack. She actually went behind our grill to be alone, and gasped and gasped, and even audibly "choked" on something?!?! I was watching her the whole time, but I have no idea what to do. She eventuallly calmed down, and went right back out and started scratching and pecking like normal.
I am so lost- and I feel helpless. I feel like I should be doing something for her, but I haven't the foggiest what to do.

Quote:
Cloverleaf, I'm thinking you may have been right originally. They were eating cherry tomatoes when I first noticed the wheezing. It seems very possible that she inhaled some juice (or whatever) just trying to get her piece of tomato! (she is SUCH a pig...)
I think I read that it isn't congagious, which fits my situation, and her breathing is what I would describe as crackly.
I'm guessing I just didn't give her enough of the Sulmet to make a difference, but I put a call into my vet today (who sees chickens occasionally) to see what they would do. Thanks so much for the advice- I'll keep everyone up to date with what the vet says!

Quote:
Cloverleaf, I'm thinking you may have been right originally. They were eating cherry tomatoes when I first noticed the wheezing. It seems very possible that she inhaled some juice (or whatever) just trying to get her piece of tomato! (she is SUCH a pig...)
I think I read that it isn't congagious, which fits my situation, and her breathing is what I would describe as crackly.
I'm guessing I just didn't give her enough of the Sulmet to make a difference, but I put a call into my vet today (who sees chickens occasionally) to see what they would do. Thanks so much for the advice- I'll keep everyone up to date with what the vet says!

You bet. I should also add to what I originally told you that while Baytril was used and used successfully in my birds that have done this (I've had 2 of them aspirate right in front of me, so I KNOW that's what was going on, and had xrays to confirm) it may have caused fertility issues in both birds. For me, it doesn't matter, because these two particular birds, while I would LOVE to have offspring from this pair, are pets first and foremost and used for showmanship by my DS. Baytril has not been studied in chickens, and the hen has not laid a single egg since she had the Baytril. The rooster had spotty fertility beforehand and has not fertilzied a single egg since. Food for thought.
wink.png

I posted a few days ago about my rooster that is having almost the exact same symptons your hen is.

This is my post:

My Buff Orpington rooster has some sort of respiratory problem. He is about 2 years old, and when he runs a little, or when I hold him near me, his breathing sounds hoarse. He also makes weird gurguling noises before and after he crows. I have been giving him fenbendazole for gapeworm, but I don't know if that is what he has. Can somebody tell me if they have ever experienced anything like this? Thanks.

He breaths through his mouth, especially after he has been excited, and none of the other chickens show symptoms. HIs droppings are normal, but he doesn't seem to eat or drink that much. He doesn't drink like a normal chicken; it reminds me of the way a sheep drinks: just stick your head in and slurp.
He has been like this for about 9 months.​

Back
Top Bottom