1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gatorade?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fleenorfarmmom, Mar 20, 2008.

1. fleenorfarmmom

fleenorfarmmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2008
    Blountville, Tn
    Sorry to ask so many questions but I as still trying to help out my sick chicks. I am hoping Gatorade would be ok for them. I have 5 that I am treating and all the electrolyte mixes I can find are for LARGE (55 gal ) amounts. Gatorade is easy and fun flavors, if it is ok.

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*we were just talking about that on another thread. . .One member uses gatorade POWDER, the unsweetened variety-- also said they tested the flavors & the chicks prefered orange. . . .ps: Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  3. UnttouchableRose

UnttouchableRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Blountville, TN
    Thanks! All the stuff we are trying is experimental for the sick ones. We just want to help out the little girls. Mom(fleenorfarmmom) is having a time with them.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Gatoraide has a high sodium content which is not good for chickens at all. Using products not intended for chickens might exacerbate the problems being exhibited.

5. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    maybe you could water it down

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*I'm glad you said that, Bawk, Miss Prissy scares me!!! I used to get my hand smacked with a ruler by my 3rd grade teacher cuz I'm a lefty and my paper was messy and on my desk 'wrong' . . . . SAME KINDA FEELING!!! ~:eek:[​IMG][​IMG]:smack:eek:ww!!

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My goodness why would you be scared of me?

8. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    [​IMG]

9. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Miss Prissy, you don't scare me. IMHO you are just looking out for all of our chickies.

10. GreggsEggs

GreggsEggs Cooped Up

Aug 31, 2007
    Caneyville, KY
    I went to my local feed mill and picked up some vitamin and electrolyte powder mix. It was a 4oz package that made 110 gallons of drinking water for poultry.

I sat down and did the math with the help of a few people in the chat room and came up with the right amount per gallon.

I/ we came up with 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water.

Now if the the 55 gallon mix Fleenorfarmmom is talking about is a yellow pack I got. And it says 2 oz per 55 gallons.

1/8 teaspoon per gallon sure work and be better than gatorade of the chicks like Missprissy said!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by