Gauloise (Bresse) eggs due to hatch on 19-20th

4 month pictures of Bresse cockerel. He's taken over my laying flock after a fox got my other roos, a big friendly BO and a BR. Sad to see them go, but I'm glad it didn't get the Bresse.
He's WIIIIIDE.
58449_dsc08425.jpg

58449_dsc08427.jpg

58449_dsc08429.jpg

58449_dsc08432.jpg

Had several calamities strike one after the other last fall.
First, in November, our barn burned down. Lost my original Bresse Roo in the fire. At the time I had hatched two hens and a roo from Germany, but they had issues - one had dominant white and pale shanks. The roo never really thrived, though he was big, often getting his butt kicked by some of the smaller roosters. He limped a lot for a few months.

After the fire I didn't have good secure places for the remaining birds - just an outside shelter. A marten or weasel was slowly picking off my flock - killing them, leaving small bite marks on the necks, and not really feeding off them.

This May, after rebuilding the barn with my father in law, we didn't secure a piece of OSB that was a temporary fence and the dogs got in and killed about 30 birds in all.

I was growing out some new Bresse at the time that I have gotten from another breeder in Germany. She is a professional they are of very good quality. I only have one hen left from the Bresse I got from Germany the first time, but I don't plan to use her as she doesn't have the same genetics or type and quality as the ones I got from Katrin.

So now I have two mature hens that have been laying for 2 months (first hatch had a disaster with my brooder and I lost all but three, one died of coccidiosis), and from a second hatch two very good roosters that I selected from a group of 6. I also have 3 pullets that are reaching POL right about now.
The two roosters are hatched from separate pens - the breeder marked each egg for me, so I have the foundation for two separate breeding groups and I can cross them every other year. These birds from Germany have very good conformation and matured quite early.

So after all this time I actually have the makings of a good breeding group. Thanks for asking. Maybe if I can get some pics I'll post them.
I know Greenfire has white Bresse now, I wonder how well they're doing for him.
Roger

very exciting!! this is the breed that i have wanted forever!!
A fellow BYCer encouraged me to start a thread for this hatch. There is much debate as to whether Gauloise outside of the Bresse region can measure up to their reputed quality. These eggs were from the UK, which reportedly has German and French lines that can be traced to the Bresse Centre of Selection.

Shipped eggs have the same awful hatch rates here in Europe as they do there in the states, especially when they go through the air. I usually get between 25 and 35%. This batch of eggs has been obsessively candled because the air sacs were all amoeba shaped except for one. So I have been hand turning them, and trying to avoid making things worse.

Of the 12 original eggs, 3 were clears, 5 quit at various stages, all by day 7, and 4 are still going as of today. I have no idea if any will make it to lockdown or even hatch, but these 4 seem to be developing normally. They are alongside some RIR/BR cross eggs from my own birds. The shipped eggs seem to be between 1 and 2 days behind the others, maybe the rough handling caused less than optimum internal egg conditions. I rested the eggs for 24 hours, but the air sacs remained irregular. In the egg suppliers defense, they were experiencing extreme weather conditions and it may have created some fertility issues.

If any successfully hatch, I will post pictures at various ages. I am especially curious to see how fast they grow and feather out, as they are supposed to be particularly fast growers. The other RIR/BR crosses I have hatched seem to grow really fast, so it will be interesting to see them side by side.

I am certain that none of the Gauloise birds from this hatch are destined for the table, so if you are curious how they dress out and taste compared to other breeds, I will not have that information for you for quite a while.

Thanks VC! I only recently realized that GFF imported them. We've been wanting to raise meat birds but REALLY don't like the cornishX at all! I'm going to talk to someone who has hatching eggs and try and verify that they bought them from GFF. They look to be legit. I'm then going to order 1-2 chicks from GF and pray that I wind up with a female and a male so that if I get at least the same from the hatching eggs, they're not too closely related. I'm calling GF tomorrow to find out if they have separate breeding pens as they do with most of their other stock.

It sucks that you had so much go on last year. I had no idea. I just miss your wizbang genetic talk from various threads. I haven't really been on BYC much at all in the past year due to new baby and small farm. I hope that you have much better fortune in this upcoming year! And PLEASE! post pictures! If I get birds it would be great to get some advice etc!

Had several calamities strike one after the other last fall.
First, in November, our barn burned down. . A marten or weasel was slowly picking off my flock - and the dogs got in and killed about 30 birds in all.
(first hatch had a disaster with my brooder and I lost all but three, one died of coccidiosis),

So after all this time I actually have the makings of a good breeding group. Thanks for asking. Maybe if I can get some pics I'll post them.
I know Greenfire has white Bresse now, I wonder how well they're doing for him.
Roger
My My .. what a lot of heart ache! I do hope you've recovered.. and re built your flock.. I h'ad some loss due to 2 large roaming dogs .. while on vacation.. last fall.
my sympathy for your losses.

I just found / read your thread today.. and was unable to see most of the photo's you posted.. ( I've seen some other places though).
thanks for posting the growth rates.. what great data to share with us.

I'm curious if you have researched the feed and various plants to have for the Bresse.??
I read that the feed and forage may contribute to the good flavor.
I'm looking into forrage feed for my flock.. now, and would like to plan for getting some bresse's some day.

Good luck to you. I'm hoping you'll update this thread when you have time..
Debra ...

How old when white Bresse hen start to lay egg? Have anyone do a taste test between Bresse vs. Silver Grey Dorking?

Back
Top Bottom