Geese aggressiveness questions

Gracekelly76

Chirping
Aug 17, 2020
Sydney NSW Australia
Hi,
I have some Chinese geese and they were handled a lot and brought up around my dogs since they were 3 days old and started chasing my dogs away and biting them since they were only a week old. They were brought up around them and are now 2 months old and bite my dogs and make them yelp so I can't have them together fearing the geese might really injure my dogs(they are small poodles). Would they have been friendlier if I introduced them earlier?

They are very friendly with all people and love attention and was wondering if this will change once they hatch their own young. Will they become aggressive or let people near their babies like chickens?

Geese will protect their babies... I researched it. About Geese Geese possess many of the qualities that humans value and strive to attain. Devoted to each other, goose couples mate for life, raise and protect their babies together, and take care of one another. Geese also use teamwork when flying in formation Bing.com www.peta.org/issues/wildlife/livin I haven't raised geese. Can you answer mine? I asked recently on this forum

Geese can get along great with dogs and others times not so much. It depends on everyone’s personality. You introduced them when they were plenty young enough so that isn’t the issue, I think the issue was that the poodles ran from them initially, now it’s set their dynamic that the geese see them as something that needs to be chased away.
You can try teaching the geese not to act aggressively by saying “NO” and picking them up, but it will only do so much because the dogs can’t do that.

As for if they’ll get aggressive with babies, yes and no. Mine think I’m their parent so they had no issue with me picking their goslings up, but reaching in and picking up an egg while the girls were in the nest was generally not approved of.
If anyone they weren’t used to came near the goslings they got pretty violent so if they see you as family they’ll be fine with you around the babies.

Geese during breeding season can be short tempered and quick to react so that’s another thing to keep in mind, if they get aggressive it can just be their hormones, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they’ve chosen to despise you forever.

Geese can get along great with dogs and others times not so much. It depends on everyone’s personality. You introduced them when they were plenty young enough so that isn’t the issue, I think the issue was that the poodles ran from them initially, now it’s set their dynamic that the geese see them as something that needs to be chased away.
You can try teaching the geese not to act aggressively by saying “NO” and picking them up, but it will only do so much because the dogs can’t do that.

As for if they’ll get aggressive with babies, yes and no. Mine think I’m their parent so they had no issue with me picking their goslings up, but reaching in and picking up an egg while the girls were in the nest was generally not approved of.
If anyone they weren’t used to came near the goslings they got pretty violent so if they see you as family they’ll be fine with you around the babies.

Geese during breeding season can be short tempered and quick to react so that’s another thing to keep in mind, if they get aggressive it can just be their hormones, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they’ve chosen to despise you forever.

That's the thing, my dogs never ran away from the goslings or around them for that matter and would be lying on the ground and the week old goslings would go out of their way to run up to them and bite them, only then would my dogs run away or walk away while still getting bit. Never seen it before in such young goslings.

That's a whole lot of useful information about your geese! I hope mine will let me go near their goslings!

Geese will protect their babies... I researched it. About Geese Geese possess many of the qualities that humans value and strive to attain. Devoted to each other, goose couples mate for life, raise and protect their babies together, and take care of one another. Geese also use teamwork when flying in formation Bing.com www.peta.org/issues/wildlife/livin I haven't raised geese. Can you answer mine? I asked recently on this forum
Hope they won't be protective against me! I have only owned geese recently so am unable to answer your question sorry

That's the thing, my dogs never ran away from the goslings or around them for that matter and would be lying on the ground and the week old goslings would go out of their way to run up to them and bite them, only then would my dogs run away or walk away while still getting bit. Never seen it before in such young goslings.

That's a whole lot of useful information about your geese! I hope mine will let me go near their goslings!
We’re they biting or was it vigorous beak rubs? Sometimes geese and goslings will mock charge and give beak rubs, it’s a form of playing but it can sometimes turn into aggression.

As a tip, the more time you spend with your geese the more they’ll see you as one of the flock, so if you’re already spending a lot of time around your geese they shouldn’t have too many issues with you being around their goslings. Though geese are all individuals so you can still get some that may decide otherwise.

We’re they biting or was it vigorous beak rubs? Sometimes geese and goslings will mock charge and give beak rubs, it’s a form of playing but it can sometimes turn into aggression.

As a tip, the more time you spend with your geese the more they’ll see you as one of the flock, so if you’re already spending a lot of time around your geese they shouldn’t have too many issues with you being around their goslings. Though geese are all individuals so you can still get some that may decide otherwise.

I think a bit of both, I've never heard of beak rubs but the goslings did run up to my dogs and rub there neck along there back and charge forward falling into my dogs? Is that what you call a beak rub?

Other times they would bite my dogs and sometimes my dogs would walk away and the goslings would continue to bite the dogs armpits and where ever they could get a hold of until the dog finally ran out of range

Now that they are 2 months old they are much larger than my dogs and will target them if in range of 2 meters or less

I think a bit of both, I've never heard of beak rubs but the goslings did run up to my dogs and rub there neck along there back and charge forward falling into my dogs? Is that what you call a beak rub?

Other times they would bite my dogs and sometimes my dogs would walk away and the goslings would continue to bite the dogs armpits and where ever they could get a hold of until the dog finally ran out of range

Now that they are 2 months old they are much larger than my dogs and will target them if in range of 2 meters or less
Yes it sounds like beak rubs that turned into all out aggression, I’m not sure they can be broken of it now, they probably see the dogs as predators.

Yes it sounds like beak rubs that turned into all out aggression, I’m not sure they can be broken of it now, they probably see the dogs as predators.

Yes I think so too, they sleep with the dogs around but if a dog walks up and sniffs them the geese try to bite, sometimes jumping up really fast trying to get them.

This is 2 of them, they are white Chinese cross brown chinese

DSC_0481.JPG

Back
Top Bottom